What's new

help please! (1 Viewer)

mckinley_phipps

Auditioning
this will probably sound stupid, but i really dont know a WHOLE lot about home theater. i had just recieved a home theater system as a gift, and went ahead and bought a dvd player. everything seems to be working great when i pop in a dvd player, but i cant seem to get the tv sound to come out of any speakers. i have a component cable and digital optic running from the reciever to the dvd player. i have a component cable running from the reciever to the tv. i have a digital coax cable running from the reciever into the tv, but i dont notice an input or output for a digital coax on my tv. is it labled as something else and i just dont recognize it? a few people who i have talked to this about said my tv might be too old to have a digital coax outlet on it, but its a fairly new tv, a toshiba 27AF42. does anyone recognize a problem?? another question i have that might not be totally related to this is that i was given a component cable for the xbox but i cant seem to figure that out either. if anyone has any solutions for either problem, preferably the 1st one, please post a reply, thanks.

adamKI

Stunt Coordinator
1. Your TV does NOT have digital audio out. You'll have to use the left/right analog audio out connections on your TV and hook that into the audio inputs on your reciever - probably marked something like "Video 1 IN" - you should see three RCA-type plugs, you want the Red and White ones for audio. You'll then need to set the audio on your TV set to FIXED see page 33 of your TV's manual for more details, you can download it here .

2. As for the X-Box ... What model is your Home Theater System/Audio receiver? We can give you more info if you tell us that. Does your Home theater system's receiver have more than one Component imput? If so, you can use your receiver to switch component video for you (otherwise, you'll have to switch the cables around whenever you want to use the x-box). Just hook the DVD's component cable into one set of inputs and the Xbox's component cable into the second set of component inputs - Then hook the receiver's component output to the TV's component input. Also, the X-box high definition pack has a digital audio output that you'll want to use to connect to the receiver.

Good luck,

adam

mckinley_phipps

Auditioning
thanks for your reply, i have an onkyo hHT-R510 reciever. it has a component video out, component dvd in, and component video 1/2/3 in.

hitendra

Grip
Your TV won't have digital audio out - so no point in connecting that to the receiver.

You need to connect as follows:
DVD Player to TV direct using component video cables. However, if you also want to connect the x-box to the TV, then you need to do either of the 2 things -
(a) If your tv has multiple component video inputs, connect the xbox directly or
(b) if it has only one component video input, connect both - DVD player and x-box to your receiver and then reciever to tv using component video

2) DVD Player audio to receiver using the Red/White cables. Hook these to analog input on the receiver. Better still, if your receiver has a digital audio in (optical or coaxial), connect the dvd player to the receiver using this.

3) TV analog audio out to receiver analog input (again, the red/white wires)

All this make sense?

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
mckinley,

(can I address you like that? :) ) Welcome to the forum.

You said you have an optical digital cable running from your DVD-player to your receiver. Fine. That means your audio (Dolby Digital and the like) is connected.

If you still cannot hear it, that may be caused by the fact that lots of DVD-players do not have the optical output switched on as default. Read the manual to find out what to do. Probably, you need to go to the service menue of your player and switch the optical audio (Toslink) to "on".

Good luck,

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks