Help, Please! What's wrong with my Toshiba 50HDX82

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg_Ritchie, Jan 10, 2003.

1. Greg_Ritchie

Greg_Ritchie Stunt Coordinator

Hi,
    After getting my Toshiba 50HDX82 back in September the picture seems to have really gone down hill and I'm starting to think buying it was a bad idea. I've contacted their clueless technical support and they've agreed to send out a tech but I'd like to know what's wrong before he gets there to make sure he fixes the right things. The current problems are:

1. Red tinting on both sides of the screen, I'd have to say 1/4 of the screen on both right & left sides is tinted red at times.

2. Green tinting at the left side, I was watching the set in a dark room last night and when I shut off the DVD player I noticed the left side of the screen had a very distinct green pattern on it, it was rounded and covered probably the bottom left 30% of the screen

3. When I power the set down I get green & blue starburst sort of pattern in the center of the screen. It looks like a little flare has gone off.

4. Red Convergence: The red lines in the 56pt. convergence are twice as thick as the green & blue. Not only that but in the top left corner the lines are so wide there appears to be two convergence squares one dark and one fainter square around the first. It makes it impossible to get any sort of convergence in that corner.

Any idea what's wrong? I could try to include photos if someone has an idea.

Thanks,
    Greg

2. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

I'm no tech, but it sounds to me as if your CRTs are turned up way too high, and possibly unfocused as well.

A tech should be able to turn these things down, and with luck that'll solve your problem.

I think chances are good that an adjustment will take care of your problem, but as I say, I'm no tech.

Good luck!

Jan

3. Greg_Ritchie

Greg_Ritchie Stunt Coordinator

I spoke to two service centres here in Toronto, they both said that the blue & green starbursts just mean the two CRTs are slow at turning themselves off. They also said the green or red on the sides is from my front speakers being too close so I guess I can try moving them and see if there is an improvement. They are sending a tech over to look at the convergence problem in the upper left corner.

Greg

4. David Lorenzo

David Lorenzo Stunt Coordinator

If your speakers aren't shielded then it may be a problem. Try moving them far away just to see if that's the case.