Help Please - Small LCD for kitchen?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Mike Marino, May 16, 2005.

1. Mike Marino

Mike Marino Auditioning

I'm looking for a small (15" - 17") TV for the kitchen and the wife has decreed that a flat panel is in order. The set will be used exclusively for direct-to-set (no cable box) TV viewing, so HD-capable isn't required (or is it?). Should I go 16x9 or stay with 4x3? I've heard also LCDs look terrible displaying standard TV signals - true or false? I was considering a new Sony 17" HD-capable display (MFM-HT75W) but can't find anyplace in my area to see one - does anyone have experience with this set? Any help sorting this out is much appreciated!

Thanks, Mike

2. Dean_S

Dean_S Second Unit

The small standard def Sharp Aquos sets look pretty darn good with SD content. I installed two in a friend's home recently (one 15" on an articulating mount in a bathroom) and one 17" on flip down and swivel mount under a kitchen cabinet, both 4:3)...both are fed a direct cable line with no STB and both have very nice picture. Just be aware that a decent mount will cost $100+, so add that to your budget. I also have to imagine that most of the small LCDs come with a standard VESA mount points but being that Sony seems to march to their own beat you might want to make sure whatever you decide to buy isn't limited to a proprietary mounting system that will limit your mount options or drive cost up unnecessarily.

3. Tyson Wetzel

Tyson Wetzel Stunt Coordinator

LG's 15" wireless is pretty cool. I like the fact that you can take it everywhere.

4. Mike Marino

Mike Marino Auditioning

Thanks for the recommendations. I hadn't thought of the wireless option - I'll definitely check that out since it doesn't require cutting the tile in my backsplash!