1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Help please - problem with DirectTivo Toslink digital audio

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by RoyP, Sep 27, 2003.

1. RoyP

RoyP Auditioning

Question please. Just got DirectTivo last week - Hughes 7000 receiver. The Hughes has one digital audio out - it is Toslink. I have a 3 yr old Kenwood 309 receiver that has one Toslink digital audio in. I hooked it up by Toslink yesterday to get digital audio and am getting a constant clipping of the audio. In-out, in-out, etc. Sometimes it will work for awhile, but then goes out and in again. I tried three different toslink cables - two of them were brand new. System works fine with coaxial analog - but of course I'm out of luck if I'm watching something that's dolby digitally audioed. I'm going to hookup another device (DVD) to the Kenwood Toslink and see if it clips with that. That way I might be able to determine if the clipping is caused by the Hughes. Seems if it doesn't happen at all with another device then it may be the Hughes receiver. I've heard the Toslink is sometimes touchy - but I don't know. Anyone ever run into this. Thank you very much in advance for any help.

Roy

2. Brian Schucher

Brian Schucher Supporting Actor

First, is this when you are watching live TV or recorded material? There is a known problem with these DVRs with audio dropouts and there is a large thread about it on TivoCommunity.com in the DirectV Tivo forum...

3. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

My folk's unit has this problem. As Brian alludes to, it seems mysteriously fine if you're not watching in real-time, though that's just my experience of watching a couple of things on it.

4. RoyP

RoyP Auditioning

Thanks for replying guys. It seems to be happening when I am watching a live shoe in real time.