1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Help Please - Looking to buy an amplifier or other audio enhancement

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Herschel Frierson, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Herschel Frierson

Hello,

I have an Onkyo TX-NR636. I am looking for suggestions on adding an amplifier to increase was audio quality. I just bought a second subwoofer(Klipsch R-10SW - Yet to be installed)

I have Dolby Set-up, below is a list of my current equipment:

2 Episode ES-500-Point-6 Ceiling Speakers,
    3 Episode ES-700-IWLCR-5 In-Wall Dual woofer Speakers,
    Episode ES-Sub-12-300 Subwoofer
    2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800 Speakers
    Projector: Epson 5040UB
    Rack – Watt Box WB-400-8
    ButtKickers
    Ipad Mini
    PS4
    Xbox One
    Apple TV
    DirecTV
    Fire Stick
    Phillips Hue Lights
    Ray Super Remote
    Philips BDP7501
    Seats: Bolt XS 400

https://mancavehf.shutterfly.com

2. Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton Ambassador

Jason Charlton
    You cannot add external amplification using that model Onkyo receiver.

Adding an external amplifier to an AVR requires pre-outs for each channel that you wish to amplify with the additional hardware. That model Onkyo does not have pre-outs for anything other than the subwoofer channel (this is standard for most AVRs, since subwoofers generally are powered and thus have their own built-in amplifier).

Pre-outs for all channels of audio is a feature that is generally only offered on high-end models of AVR.

That being said, while I am not familiar with those model speakers, in-wall speakers are rarely able to offer the performance and clarity of standalone speakers, and I can't really say how much of an improvement in sound quality you're likely to realize with the addition of a bit more power. Even with standalone speakers, adding more power is not often the solution to a system that does not meet your standards of audio quality.

3. Alf S

Alf S Banned
    BANNED

Alfer
    Seems to me that the only logical way to get "better sound" is to replace either your receiver, or your speakers, or both. Making it "louder" won't help anything.