What's new

Help Please - Looking to buy an amplifier or other audio enhancement (1 Viewer)

Hello,

I have an Onkyo TX-NR636. I am looking for suggestions on adding an amplifier to increase was audio quality. I just bought a second subwoofer(Klipsch R-10SW - Yet to be installed)

I have Dolby Set-up, below is a list of my current equipment:

2 Episode ES-500-Point-6 Ceiling Speakers,
3 Episode ES-700-IWLCR-5 In-Wall Dual woofer Speakers,
Episode ES-Sub-12-300 Subwoofer
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800 Speakers
Projector: Epson 5040UB
Rack – Watt Box WB-400-8
ButtKickers
Ipad Mini
PS4
Xbox One
Apple TV
DirecTV
Fire Stick
Phillips Hue Lights
Ray Super Remote
Philips BDP7501
Seats: Bolt XS 400

https://mancavehf.shutterfly.com

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
You cannot add external amplification using that model Onkyo receiver.

Adding an external amplifier to an AVR requires pre-outs for each channel that you wish to amplify with the additional hardware. That model Onkyo does not have pre-outs for anything other than the subwoofer channel (this is standard for most AVRs, since subwoofers generally are powered and thus have their own built-in amplifier).

Pre-outs for all channels of audio is a feature that is generally only offered on high-end models of AVR.

That being said, while I am not familiar with those model speakers, in-wall speakers are rarely able to offer the performance and clarity of standalone speakers, and I can't really say how much of an improvement in sound quality you're likely to realize with the addition of a bit more power. Even with standalone speakers, adding more power is not often the solution to a system that does not meet your standards of audio quality.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Seems to me that the only logical way to get "better sound" is to replace either your receiver, or your speakers, or both. Making it "louder" won't help anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks