1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

HELP PLEASE! Klipsch Synergy vs. JBL HT series

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Kenneth Harden, May 13, 2004.

1. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

I own a pair of JBL HT4V's (SVA1500's actually), these:

http://www.jbl.com/home/products/series.asp?SerId=HTE

I have the chance to get a OK/good (but now great) deal on the matching center.

For the SAME PRICE, I can get a pair of Klipsch SF-3's and a SC-3 for the same money (I just can, connections)

There is no way I can really evaluate these systems, and I am asking for help. I know the build quality is better on the JBL's, but the Klipsch's will play louder as stereo speakers. I don't know about the sound quality, but the drivers are very nice on the JBL's.

ALSO: if I get the Klipsch's, I can sell the SVA1500's for $300 or so (what I paid), and that cash would cover that system.

I mainly listen to music, so technically, the Klipsch's would be the better way to go.

PLEASE. Does anyone have any advice? I don't know what to do.

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

I can only assume that you do not live anywhere close to a BestBuy since you say you can't audition. I think I would take the Klipsch. I like the SC-3 (I think the others in the series lack low-end). I would not, however, say that they are better stereo speakers just because they happen to be more efficient (I assume that's what you meant by "play louder"). Go for sound quality, you should have plenty of volume either way. I like the Klipsch, but that's just my preference. Lots of people in similar discount situations have gone with the JBL.

3. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

I like Klipsch myself, but JBL isn't bad either. It's all up to you as no one is better than another.

4. Kenneth Harden

By not auditioning, I mean I cannot do a side-by-side test.

I think I will go with the Klipsch's. This might be something I will act on in the next week. College is out for the summer, I am getting plenty of hours at work, and I have a lot of good financial stuff happening in my life right now.

I listen to more music than movies, and I listen to a lot of electronic music that would love to have some better bass, and the Klipsch's would do that.

Cool deal yo! [​IMG]

5. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

Another option since you already own speakers that had an MSRP U.S.: $899.00 pair is to, ... buy a powered-sub?

FYI: Here's the following specification for the JBL SVA1500
    Frequency Response
    80Hz – 18kHz (±2dB)
    45Hz – 20kHz (–6dB)
    Sensitivity: 88dB @ 2.83 volts/1 meter
    Recommended Maximum
    Amplifier Power: 150 watts
    Impedance: 8 ohms nominal
    Crossover Frequency: 2500Hz
    Dimensions (HxWxD): 20 x 6-13/16 x 11-1/8 inches 508 x 173 x 283mm
    Weight: 25 lbs/11.4 kg

Adding a SVS or HSU sub would make that a killer setup and you'd have enough SPL to disturb your farthest neighbor's!!! [​IMG]

Food for thought,
    Phil

6. Kenneth Harden

Well, for the same price as the semi-matching center (HT4H), I could have the Klipsch SF-3's and SC-3 - and for music, I think those would do better.

I have the JBL Pro 4648A-8, and my Parts Express amp died, so I am subless right now. I want to sell it and get a SVS (PB2-ISD - $1000 shipped) eventually. Still thinking about it.

How should I sell the SVA1500's? I have never seen them listed in eBay or anywhere. A fair price?