What's new

HELP PLEASE: Got a quick Q about speaker wire.....come in - need to know asap, thanks (1 Viewer)

Rick RTM

Grip
ok here is my question.

IS there a problem with using 4 pair in wall, not in my wall and also to take 2x wires and twiat them together to make a bigger wire? its 14g wire and going ot be running axiom m22i's and smaller bookshelves.

i just want to run in wall speaker cause i like how it looks i just dont know if having 2 of the 4 twisted together is bad for the sound

thanks

Rick

ToddJoseph

Stunt Coordinator
Rick,

Really don't understand what your asking. ARe you trying to put two wires together to make 14g or are you putting two 14 g speakers and twisting them together.

First off you never want to roll any speaker wire together yourself. There is 12g or 14g speaker wire at Home Depot that is used for in wall purposes. By twisting wires together your not gonna improve your sound. Adding gold platted banana clips will help.

BTW, Where did you hear hear about this? Curious!!!

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Rick,

Sounds to me like you are saying you have the 4wire (two pairs) inwall variety speaker cable. And you want to combine the wires together to end up with just one pair of speaker cable. All you will be doing is increasing the gauge of the wire so if you are someone that believes that large guage equals better sound then yes it would be ok and perhaps an improvement. But it's really all subjective.

Just be sure to combine the same wires on each end. Also, using "inwall" wire not in the wall is absolutely fine.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
This is exactly what BetterCables has done with their speaker wire. It's 4 conductor 14 gauge wire (Canare 4S11). They are combined so that you only have 1+ and 1- wire, which is effectively 11 gauge wire. It will work fine.

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks