HELP PLEASE! Different 4:3 widths from Hi-Def box and DVD player/TiVo

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Captain Spaulding, Jan 20, 2003.

1. Captain Spaulding

Captain Spaulding Second Unit

Jun 30, 1997
    This problem is driving me nuts! There must be some setting somewhere that I'm overlooking. I've got a Sony 34XBR800. When I watch a 4:3 picture through the component inputs from my high definition receiver, it looks to be the correct aspect ratio and size..that is to say, the 4:3 picture looks correct [with gray bars on the sides].
    However, when I watch a 4:3 aspect ratio DVD or watch a 4:3 program recorded on TiVo, there is a difference of about 2 inches in the width of the 4:3 picture [it is narrower on these inputs]. As far as the various options for picture "stretching", the TV locks into the "Full" mode with any signal from my hi-def box, and the "Normal" mode is chosen with 4:3 DVD's and TiVo programming. The somewhat wider 4:3 picture from the high def box looks "more correct" to me. I did adjust overscan in the service menu while the TV was in Full mode. Could this be the cause of the problem? What's going on here???
  2. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

Aug 18, 2001

For the HD receiver, are you only seeing this w/ non-HD channels or also w/ the HD channels?

I recent got digital cable installed w/ an HD receiver, and I actually think all the non-HD channels are stretching the 4x3 image a bit--I think this might be a problem w/ the 1080i upconversion and/or aspect ratio control of the receiver. Basically, I get the same results as you do relative to 4x3 DVDs. Furthermore, I've compared the non-HD output to my TV's RF coax input, and the 4x3 image there is not stretched, ie. same as 4x3 DVDs.

I have the Panny 53wx42 RPTV and use the Scientific Altanta 3100HD cable box.

At this point, I've sort've resolved to not care about the slight stretching since I plan to switch to Directv.