What's new

HELP PLEASE! Different 4:3 widths from Hi-Def box and DVD player/TiVo (1 Viewer)

Captain Spaulding

Second Unit
Real Name
Jay
This problem is driving me nuts! There must be some setting somewhere that I'm overlooking. I've got a Sony 34XBR800. When I watch a 4:3 picture through the component inputs from my high definition receiver, it looks to be the correct aspect ratio and size..that is to say, the 4:3 picture looks correct [with gray bars on the sides].
However, when I watch a 4:3 aspect ratio DVD or watch a 4:3 program recorded on TiVo, there is a difference of about 2 inches in the width of the 4:3 picture [it is narrower on these inputs]. As far as the various options for picture "stretching", the TV locks into the "Full" mode with any signal from my hi-def box, and the "Normal" mode is chosen with 4:3 DVD's and TiVo programming. The somewhat wider 4:3 picture from the high def box looks "more correct" to me. I did adjust overscan in the service menu while the TV was in Full mode. Could this be the cause of the problem? What's going on here???

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Jay,

For the HD receiver, are you only seeing this w/ non-HD channels or also w/ the HD channels?

I recent got digital cable installed w/ an HD receiver, and I actually think all the non-HD channels are stretching the 4x3 image a bit--I think this might be a problem w/ the 1080i upconversion and/or aspect ratio control of the receiver. Basically, I get the same results as you do relative to 4x3 DVDs. Furthermore, I've compared the non-HD output to my TV's RF coax input, and the 4x3 image there is not stretched, ie. same as 4x3 DVDs.

I have the Panny 53wx42 RPTV and use the Scientific Altanta 3100HD cable box.

At this point, I've sort've resolved to not care about the slight stretching since I plan to switch to Directv.

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks