What's new

Help Please! - connecting a subwoofer (1 Viewer)

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I'm at my father in law's trying to hook up his 5.1 system that someone had left in peices for him. There aren't any directions, and I've succeeded at establishing the fronts, rears, and center channel - but the subwoofer remains.

Sorry if this is very newbie - but I still haven't purchased my first 5.1 system.

The receiver is kenwood, and the speakers are bose. The Subwoofer has 2 inputs for right and left, and 2 outputs for right and left. Do I just use the right and left fronts for "B" speakers (the fronts are in "A")? Or is there something else I'm missing...?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Marc Rochkind

Second Unit
I barely know these systems, but I think the problem is that the subwoofer output from the receiver uses a phono plug because it is pre-amp output and expects to be connected to a powered subwoofer.

But the Bose isn't using a powered subwoofer, and so its subwoofer expects external amplification.

So, neither the receiver nor the subwoofer are going to supply any amplification for the subwoofer.

The rest is pure guess:

Maybe you connect the subwoofer same as the front speakers and assume it will take the low frequencies. Unfortunately, you can't then use the receiver to cut off the lows to the front left and right (option is called "small speaker" on my system), because the subwoofer needs the same signal.

But, maybe it doesn't matter. Chances are this system sounds 50 times better than what it replaces, so does anybody really care?

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
Marc is correct, the Bose bass module can't be connected to the sub output in a 5.1 system. The sub out jack out is made to be connected to a powered sub, which is one that has its own power supply. To hook up the system as it is designed you need to connect the left and right audio out jacks from the receiver to the speaker inputs on the bass module, and the speaker outs on the bass module to the cube speakers. The bass module plays the lows and passes on the highs to the cubes. The cubes aren't designed to handle low frequencies so don't connect them directly to the receiver or they could be damaged.

It probably sounds more complicated than it is, just remember receiver to bass module, and bass module to cubes.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Okay, currently I have the fronts connected to the left & right speaker (A) on the receiver. The rears connected to the left & right rears on the receiver and the center channel to the center channel on the speaker.

If I understand properly, you are indicating that I should not connect either the fronts or the rears directly to the receiver. So should I connect the front R&L to the subwoofer, then the front speakers from the SW output, or should I run the rear L&R to the subwoofer, then the rear speakers from the SW output?

Currently, aside from no subwoofer, it sounds fairly right - with audio dispersed amongst the five existing speakers. I do want to set it up properly though, so please clarify if possible.

Thank you.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
John,

Carl is right. The receiver’s “Sub Out” jack is for use with a powered sub woofer.

Think of the Bose rig as a full-range system with only one low frequency driver. So, connect the receiver’s front left and right speaker terminals to the Bose sub’s left and right inputs. Then connect the front left and right speakers to the sub’s outputs.

Set the receiver to “large” front speakers, and the sub to “no” or “off.” This will send full-range signals to the front speakers. That’s probably what you forgot to do.

The rear speakers connect to the receiver directly, and set the receiver to “small” rear speakers.

Happy Holidays,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks