What's new

Help please. Can the Niles AC-3 handle my two amps for 12v switched power? (1 Viewer)

Paul Gere

Second Unit
Guys,

Forgive my ignorance, but need some help...

I had been using a Xantech AC-1 to switch power on for my two amps and it recently freaked out on me, so I've replaced it with a Niles AC-3, as it offers two switched outlets (I had to split the singe outlet from the AC-1).

Question is, the Niles AC-3 spec says 1500w max load, all 3 outlets. Not sure what that means or if i should be concerned about the "load" my amps will give it.

The amps:

Parasound HCA-2200II (250w x2)

Parasound HCA2205AT (220w x 5)

Where I'm confused is that when I go to the specs section for these amps on the Parasound site, it says power consumption for the 2205 is 1500w and the 2200 is 1000 watts (a combined wattage of 2,500)

Should I be concerned by this? Should I NOT power these with the Niles? Should I be using two AC-3s (1 for each amp?) Not sure if I should be worried or not, since the AC-1 seemed to hold up for almost 10 years with the same load.... Is the "spec" wattage on the amps peak or continuous? Does that matter?!

Could some kind soul please help me sort this out??!!

Link to niles AC-3 info:

http://www.nilesaudio.com/product.php?prodID=AC-3&recordID=120Volt%20AC%20Power%20Switching%20Systems&categoryID=Switching%20Systems&catcdID=10&prdcdID=FG00242

Link to Parasound 2205AT specs (2200II specs also posted at this site)

http://www.parasound.com/vintage/hca2205at.php

THANK YOU to all who are more knowledgeable than I am on this sort of thing!!

Paul Gere

Second Unit
Well, the Ac-3 arrived and I installed it - powering both amps.

so far so good...switches both on/off and no obvious issues....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation625
Recent bookmarks