What's new

Help! Playstation 2 broke? (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Guys-

I was curious if anyone here has experienced a problem with their Playstation 2 console that I'm having. I turned mine on yesterday and I usually leave the game disc in the machine. Grand Theft Auto-Vice City in this case.

I left the room and came back to find the game where I last left off, but a odd sound was coming from the machine and a message on the screen that said "Disc error, reload the game DVD". When I reloaded the disc, the game would not load and I can only see the Playstation screen asking what it wants to load from.

The sound is best described as sort of grinding, or rattling. The disc is clean and I tried disconnecting power and waiting. I tried tilting the console from vertical to horizontal and back. A friend suggested that maybe a belt came off its pulley on the DVD drive.

If sending it in for repair at a Sony repair facility will cost as much as a new one, I’ll go that route, but before I do that, maybe someone could suggest some options that I can try by opening it up. If it’s as simple as a belt, and it is accessible, I can do that. By the way, the machine is one year old and well beyond the 90 day warranty.

Thanks! Nelson

Eric Alderson

Stunt Coordinator
I heard using a can of compressed air can help. I had that same problem but with the blue bottomed discs. I had a replacement plan on it so I took it to the store and they gave me a new one. Hope this helps.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Call Sony up. If they think it's their fault it broke and not yours, they fix it for free. They did this for me.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the input guys. I actually gave it a hard wack on the top and bottom of the case at the same time. I heard the disc inside seat and start to load up! This is not something I would normally do, but I didn't have much to loose. It just played fine for abour an hour now.

If it happens again, I'll call Sony and see if they will fix it.

Nelson

Joe michaels

Second Unit
Sounds like the lens carriage was stuck. I had that happen on a PSONE which was much easier to see. Some odd lunk of plastic got wedged in there but it still worked after removing it.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey Joe-

Thanks for the input. That sounds like a likely reason for the noise, a stuck lens carriage. Hopefully it's okay now!

Nelson

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks