What's new

Help picking receiver. Please. (1 Viewer)

MarkU

Auditioning
I am new to this forum and would like to thank everyone in advance for any and all assistance. I'm sorry if my questions are not advanced, but please bear with me.

I am in the beginning stages of setting up a HT in my basement and trying to decide between a receiver. My budget is somewhat limited, trying to stay in the $300 range.

I'm looking at the Onkyo TXSR500 and the Denon 1603. As a novice I really can't tell much of a difference between the two. Any suggestions/recommendations.

The room is aprox 13x17, but with the tv, the veiwing size is roughly 13x15. I do not require a high volume. It'll be used 99.99% for video, mostly dvd, but also some satellite, no over the air broadcasts.

Question 2. Looking through catalogs, I'm seeing 6.1 and 7.1 channel receivers. Would buying a 5.1 be a waste of money? What are the advantages with 6.1 and 7.1. I know, buy the best you can afford. I'm wondering if the 5.1 will be outdated soon. Would I regret not waiting until I could afford a 6.1 or 7.1? I'd like to use the Onkyo/Denon for 3-4yrs before I would probably upgrade. I would first upgrade my speakers.

The speakers I'll be using are a pr of old Pioneer's that have never been put under stress for the fronts, and some bookshelf speakers for the rears. I still need a center and sub. Any suggestions? I understand at least the three fronts should be timbre matched, but that will have to come. The speakers will be the first to be upgraded, probably next yr, although would try to integrate the new center and sub.

Tv is a Sony KP57WV600
Dvd is Hitachi DVC605U (also planning on upgrading to prog.scan)
Sat is newer RCA model

Someone might comment on why spend $3000 (actually bought the tv for $2200 at CC) on a tv and cut back on the other components. Again, budget and a wife that doesn't doesn't have the same priorities. So right now, it's one piece at a time.

Thanks again, Mark

Phil Mays

Second Unit
Mark,

While I do not know much about either receiver you are speaking I will give you my imput which some may disagree with.

1. Get 6.1 surround. I really cannot tell a GREAT
difference in 6.1 and 7.1 surround but I do enjoy
the "rear effects".

2. Spend your money on the type of quality center speaker
you would like, then match the mains later.

3. Get a decent sub.

4. Then do what you want with the rest, when you can, as it
never stops.

BTW, I am a fan of both the Denon and Onkyo products. However if you want 6.1, the Pioneer VSXD811S would be a good choice. Circuit City has it for $380.00.

Mauricio_BR

Agent
Just have in mind that are very few dvds with the 6.1 soundtrack. The last time I´ve serached amazon I only found 3 titles.

B R

Mauricio

Cire

Stunt Coordinator
Mark, to me, buying a 6.1 receiver isn't that difficult nowadays since it has almost become a standard with new models, even with the low-priced ones.

I myself have purchased a 6.1 receiver (just a few days ago) even though I wouldn't be using the sixth channel in the near future. Just wanted the option to be there, just in case.

That said, I wouldn't say 5.1 is a waste of money.

Mauricio:
You're the 1st Brasilian I saw here. How's Sao Paolo? I was there for 6 months in 2000, and I miss all the fun!

Regards.

Phil Mays

Second Unit
Mark,

While a few dvd's have 6.1, every dvd I have watched have something feeding that channel.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks