What's new

Help picking out HD Direct TV STB (1 Viewer)

M

MaxY

OK Guys first off, I have a BUD and am currently getting HD Showtime (East and West) and HD HBO (East and West) and do not plan to switch do the inferior choices for HD Movie channels on Direct TV. The movie channels are cheaper on BUD and I get east and west feeds as well as many more versions of the non HD feeds as well.
So I have a Mit 73907 and would like the use the HD STB for OTA Tuning mainly and to get the HDNet Sports channel. I would also like to get NHL Center Ice. This means Dish is not an Option as they don't carry Center Ica or HDnet Sports.
Now I know about the old warhorse RCA DTC 100 but it has a VGA out and for many reasons I would prefer a unit with component HD out.
This Leave me looking at...
Hughes (Which also makes Toshiba and Mits HD STBs)
Are there any differences between the 3?
Sony
I have heard of some problems with a slow menu, but that their OTA Tuners are good.
Panasonic
I know little about this model and have not seen it in any stores yet.
And what other models should I be considering?
What is the Min programing package cost that would allow me to sign up for locals and Center Ice as well as HDNet.
I live in a house with lots of trees and am unsure how to check for line of sight on the two sats I need to hit. Is there anyone that can explain how to know find out if I even can "see" these birds? I am in West Central Fla, Tampa Area.
Any Help would be great. Thanks to all in advance.
Max
------------------
Maxsig.gif

Browse My Collection of DVDs at DVD profiler
Equipment Lists for My HTs
Petition To Bring Motel Hell To DVD Check In Here
Time to resume Buying Warner Product!!

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Go to DBSforums http://www.dbsforums.com/azel.html, on it and tape the cardboard to a level. Point the level at the correct azimuth, make sure it's level and look through the staw. If you can see the sky, then everything is OK.
If you don't have a clear line of sight for both sats from a single location, you can use two 18" dishes and get the same results.
If your not a DIYer, then most satellite installers will give you a site survey for a small fee.
I'm not sure about the other stuff since I'm a Dish subscriber.
-Robert
[Edited last by Robert_J on September 10, 2001 at 05:28 PM]

M

MaxY

Hey Thanks for the link and the sighting tips I guess I need to check it out.
So far here is what I am finding on the STB front is that The Sony as some problems with cutouts on some stations.
The Panasomnic has not signal strength meter for HD channels.
Leaving the Mits, Thosiba and Hughes models to deal with. I understand their biggest problem is they will output 480I signals on S-video or Compostie only unless you are willing to let it upconvert them to 1080I.
I think I can live with the Hughes based models.
Are there other STBs with HD in them that I am missing?
Max
------------------
Maxsig.gif

Browse My Collection of DVDs at DVD profiler
Equipment Lists for My HTs
Petition To Bring Motel Hell To DVD Check In Here
Time to resume Buying Warner Product!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks