Help picking out a projector please...

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Ali_, Jan 1, 2004.

1. Ali_

Ali_ Extra

Im just about ready to buy a projector and was wondering if you guyz could help me pick one out and direct me to a place i could buy the Screen. i would like it to be a Widescreen. the projector is goin to be used to watch movies(Hence the widescreen) and play xbox. im gonna get a tv to watch cable. here are my choices i will list prices after them.

Hitachi CP-S210W 1200 ANSI SVGA 6LB LCD Video Projector
    $1000 and it comes with a free DVD player.

Panasonic PT-L300U 800 Lumen 16:9 Native XGA Projector
    $1300

those are 2 that i found just now. I would like the projector to supposrt HDTV like those 2 and it MUST have the component Inout built into the projector. This way i will only have to buy a System selector(its probably going to be the one by pelican cuz its great for the price) both the projectors ive listed have the compnent input. Thanks for ANY input and help!! your opinions are appreciated.

2. Thomas Willard

Thomas Willard Stunt Coordinator

Ali:

I have the Panasonic PT-L300U and I have found it to be a great projector. It is being replaced with the PT-L500U, which should begin shipping in a month or so. The 500 has slightly better contrast ratio and resolution (768 versus 540 lines, which will help with HDTV but not DVD's). You can pick up a 300 for a good price right now. The 300 is very quiet and has a lamp life suggested at 5000 hours in the low setting, which provides plenty of light in a darkened room. I display an image 68" wide. The larger the image the less bright it will be. No screen door effect even at 1.5 screen width.

3. Ian-Fl

Ian-Fl Second Unit

One of the best projector sites is Projectorcentral.com
    You can use the search button and read the user comments. You'll have to find a projector that has a good scaler that can convert the signal for HDTV. My projector, a 2002 model is great for watching DVD's however it doesn't have a good scaler to convert the HDTV signal. I've tried it and the results are dissapointing.

4. Ali_

Ali_ Extra

thanks for both replies and i will definitly look inot that projector site. Thomas do you have any idea how much the new pannasonic one is gonna cost? and where did you buy your projector screen from?

5. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

I have the Sanyo Z1 which is a great projector. That is replaced with the Z2(which is hard to find right now) because it is a very popular item.

6. mark alan

mark alan Supporting Actor

I would strongly suggest you wait on purchasing a screen. Until you have had a projector for a while, and used it in actual conditions, you don't know what size screen will give you the best viewing experience. Project on a white wall, use a sheet (stretched), buy a $20 piece of tileboard, etc. You can test different sizes of picture, and see what minimizes screendoor, etc., from you viewing positions.

I would also recommend buying some paint and looking at the impact of different projection surfaces. People use a wide variety of white, grey and silver paints to improve the pictures. you would not be happy if you spent $500 on a white screen and then hated that fact that your blacks were grey and you should have gone with a grey screen to get better black levels.

On the avsforum, there is a screen section with many threads on homemade screens. For $50 bucks and a little work, you can make a homemade screen which rivals expensive commercial screens.

As far as the projector, if you have good light control, the Sanyo Z1 and Panny 300 would both be good choices. I have the Z1, and still love it after a year of use.