What's new

Help picking out a 27" flatscreen. (1 Viewer)

Gary:Will

Auditioning
Okay, my birthday is coming up and im looking at buying a 27" flatscreen for gaming and DVD.My budget is around $400-500 and im mainly concered with picture quality. Im not an expert on features and things, so id appreciate some opinions/suggestions.
So far, im mostly interested in these two:
TV #1
TV #2
Thanks ahead of time.
p.s. I really really hate the "First name" thing in your username. It took me forever to finally get a name that wasnt taken. I highly suggest letting people pick whatever names they want, and then having a "nickname" below the user-name with their full name.

Randy_T

Stunt Coordinator
I would go with the Sony. The addition of having 16:9 Enhancement Mode for viewing "Amamorphic" DVD's is a big plus!

Randy T

Randy_T

Stunt Coordinator
I would go with the Sony. The addition of the 16:9 Enhancement Mode for viewing "Amamorphic" DVD's is a big plus!

Randy T

David Lorenzo

Stunt Coordinator
Well if the 16:9 is really important to you, then I would say go ahead and pick up the Sony. If that mode isn't important then go with this Toshiba instead.
http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...cat=24&scat=27
Trust me man. I've had both the Sony in my house and the Toshiba. There is no comparison what so ever. The Toshiba's picture quality is the best out of any 27" analog TV on the market. I'm extremely picky about picture quality and noticed the faults in both sets immediately, but the Toshiba's 2 bad points are negligable compared to it's strengths. The 2 bad points are
1) No anamorphic DVD support.
2) Geometry is pretty bad, although so is every other flatscreen direct view set.
It's out of the box color is far superior than the Sony or any other set. It is much closer to neutral. There is hardly any red push at all. If you do get the Toshiba, set the picture mode to Movie and set the rest of the preferences after that. This is the only way to disable the picture killing VSM mode.

Ronn.W

Second Unit
Get the Sony. You'd be amazed at what 16:9 enhancement can do. Anyone who's using a flatscreen TV w/out 16:9 enhancement has missed the point in getting a flatscreen altogether.

David Lorenzo

Stunt Coordinator
The point in getting a flatscreen is not for anamorphic compression. It is for
1)less glare
2)wider viewing angle
3)better look
4)geometry doesn't distort at any angle (except for the distortion that already exists while viewing straight on).

The reason to get a Sony analog flat screen may be to get 16:9 compression.

Of course you can always do the ol' service menu squeeze and make any flat screen have a 16:9 mode.

lee.b

Stunt Coordinator
My two cents:

I finally broke down and purchased a sony 27" a few days ago (after bombarding this forum with questions). I'm as anal as anyone about clarity and sound, although I'm not a tv techie or mass dvd collector.

I know that you said your budget was up to $500. Let me just say that I purchased the kv27fv300 - a couple steps up from the sony you looked at. Yes, it usually goes for $699..the lowest I saw was $688 locally. Until...circuit city sold me their last display model with somewhat damaged (but glueable) flip panel on the bottom for $550.

Even then, I wasn't sure how this tv would look and sound when I got home - it is very difficult to use the store setting as a barometer with all the splicing etc.

Gary, even if you can't get much of a discount from the $700, let me just say one thing- the picture (at home on your own cable) on this set combined with the subwoofed speakers...is absolutely mindboggling. When you use 'TruSurround', because of the addition of the subwoofer, it does give you a 'theater effect' - and a darn good one. Some may say that it's not done right until you get 5.1, and I will respectfully disagree. Yes...5.1 is better, sure. But what tv out there gives you this total package without such a purchase?

When you look and listen to this tv, it's not tv anymore...it's an experience. And that is what it is all about. Even without the TruSurrounded speakers, the picture on this set is an outstanding improvement from the trinitron of just three years ago.

This set is certainly not HD, but it is so good (especially with dvd/component cable)that you realize you don't 'need' HD to get a wonderful viewing and listening experience.

I've read reviews/complaints on this set..and other sony's (mostly good, mind you). The pink blotches etc...I see nothing.

If this tv is out of your price range, I would stick with the '100' series. The folks above are right, the 16:9 mode is an improvement. Just make sure your dvd player is set to 16:9 as opposed to 4:3 or you won't see the difference. It's slight..but it's noticeable. Plus, I'm not sure that my '300' series does anything better for a dvd picture than the '100' series. And I can only imagine you'll be satisfied with that - especially for your budget.

That's it...also keep in mind that circuit city tells me that the kv27fv300 is being discontinued to make room for next years model..so maybe you could find a display model as I did..and save money and step up in model#.

Hope it helps.

KevinJ

Supporting Actor
if you can spend up to $699 get a samsung 27inch HDTV ready set like the one a recently got...trust me no sony 27inch sd set can touch this set[even if you don't have HDTV yet like me]

JasonRH

Second Unit
I'm with KevinJ, if it is in your budget go with the Samsung 27 inch HDTV-ready set. Much more bang for the buck than the analog Sony set and a better picture on good sources. Good luck.

Auditioning
Thats way out of my budget. Im really stretching just for the $500 Sony....
What about this Samsung here. It looks pretty good for the price, anyone know how good the picture quality is?

David S

Stunt Coordinator
Gary - I've had the prior Samsung (speakers down the sides) for past 6 months in bedroom and think it was a steal. I paid $393 at Best Buy. To my eyes it looks as good as the Sony and Toshiba (+ I like the cosmetics of the box much better - although who cares:>). I dont think you would be disapointed with the Samsung or the Sony or Toshiba, you just are saving some $$ with the Samsung.

Auditioning
David: Hmmm, the Samsung does seem awfully nice. Its $70 cheaper and has 16:9. Im still going to have to go to the store and check them all out personally, but thanks for the input!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks