1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Help picking my Onkyo

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DavidAM, Oct 2, 2001.

1. DavidAM

DavidAM Second Unit

A little background first. I'm getting ready to buy a 55" Mitsubishi widescreen. Since I'm getting this TV, I figured its time to put my 11year old Pioneer VSX3600 to bedroom duty. My problem is that I'm not too intelligent when it comes to all the current connections and hookup features of HDTV's and home theater recievers. This is where you guys come in. I was looking at the Onkyo 575x, but I decided I really want DPLII, so now I'm thinking about the 595. I keep hearinig about this component video switching and how it is very useful for home theater and HDTV. I have no clue what it is or when you'd use it, so should I pay extra right now for the 696 to get that feature? That is the only reason I'd upgrade to the 696. Is it worth the upgrade? Does the 575x have that feature? The rest of my system consists of Polk RT8's, passive Cerwin Vega 10" sub and Bose 201 surrounds. Eventually I'll upgrade the sub to an amplified sub. When I get the new reciever I'll get a center channel and will probably change out the surrounds (put the 201's and old Pioneer reciever in my room). I'll also be getting a DVD player and a new cd changer. So, with all this equipment I've listed (add a Playstation 2 in there), exactly what connections will I need and what reciever will work the best for me?

2. Kevin_W

Kevin_W Second Unit

Component Video switching is exactly as it implies... it takes multiple component video inputs and sends them out one output. This is useful if your TV only has one component video input, but you have 2 or more component video devices (ie hdtv tuner, dvd player, playstation 2, etc). Or even if your TV has more than one component input, but you don;t want to have to toggle them on the TV.
    With the components you mention, most any of the Onkyo lines will support your hardware selections. As far as component video switching goes, you'll have to determine if that is a convenience/necessity you'll want to pay for.
    If you do decide to purchase a unit with component switching, something you'll want to look into is whether the model you're looking at offers enough bandwidth to pass a HDTV signal.
    Good Luck!
    Kevin

3. DavidAM

DavidAM Second Unit

Thanks. That cleared up the component switching for me. My next question is, I forgot to mention I have a Sony HIFI VCR that I will hook up to this system too (so that's a VCR, DVD, Playstation 2, HDTV Tuner and cd changer). Between the Onkyo 595 and the Mitsubishi 55809 TV, would I have all the connections I need to run everything properly? I don't mind using the TV to switch to some of the components, but I don't want to end up short on hooking up something. I have no idea what the connections are on the 55809 or the Onkyo 595. If someone is familiar with these 2 products, let me know if they have the proper outputs for to run all these extras. Thanks.

4. Phuong

Phuong Stunt Coordinator

Save your money and get the 595 instead of the 696. Your TV has 2 sets of component inputs, so you're straight by running the component cabling directly to the TV set. No need to spend more money on more video cables. Besides. You can't even do onscreen menus with component output on most receivers. If you call hifi.com, you can get an open box Onkyo 595 for $350, with the standard 2-year warranty. The receiver also has plenty of inputs to handle your audio/video equipment list.
    Since I'm a proponent of steamlining duties...why don't you just buy a DVD changer instead of separate CD and DVD players? I assume you'll use the digital outputs on both players anyway, so the quality of the DA converters on the players is irrelevent. If you want, you can run one digital output to the CD input and one to the DVD input, and set each input to a different surround mode.
    Peace, and happy listening

5. Andy_A

Andy_A Second Unit

I have to disagree. I would definitely buy the 696. You get a lot more than just the component video switching capability. You get more power (100 X 5), plus preouts for six channels. Not to mention on screen display. Not bad considering the price tag..

6. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

I agree with Andy. If you can afford the 696, get it. The component switching, 5.1 pre-outs (if you ever want to add external amps), and additional 25 WPC make it a killer value. Consider it a couple hundred extra dollars well spent.
    But, if it really pushes HT out of your budget, the 595 is a great product in it's own right. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it if my budget limit was $400.
    ------------------
    September 11, 2001
    "Those who died will always be remembered.
    Those who killed will never be forgotten.
    We who remain will not let it happen again."

7. DavidAM

DavidAM Second Unit

Thanks for the input guys. I will probably go with the 595. My last question for that is about the 70wpc. I read stuff that the 70wpc on the Onkyo (and denon and HK) is actually stronger than the 100watts on most other recievers. I can accept that given that the 70wpc is across the board and not a peak rating....kinda like a minimum rating right? Am I viewing that right? I was thinking of the Sony 875 before this Onkyo. And money sorta is the issue. I'd like to stay around $400 or below. I mean, with the TV, I'm buying a few thousand dollars worth of new stuff, so I'd like to make sure its really worth it for me to fork over the extra for the 696.
    As far as the cd changer thing goes, I did think about that, but I want a 200 or 300 disk changer, so I will end up getting a changer and a single cd player probably.
    So, can anyone clear up this 70wpc thing for me? Is that really just as good or better than other recievers (Sony, Pioneer, Kenwood, etc) 100wpc?

8. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

The Onkyo's 70 wpc is measured across the whole audible frequency range 20Hz-20kHz, while many other manufs rate their receivers at 1kHz only.
    Alos, since there is really no standard, some manufs have been found to be conservative in their ratings (Onkyo is one of them) while others exagerate it.
    --
    Holadem

9. Andy_A

Andy_A Second Unit

The Onkyo rating is for constant RMS power, while the others rate theirs in terms of dynamic or peak power. The Onkyo will reach higher output on big bangs and such--it is a high current amp with better dynamic range.

10. Russell _T

Russell _T Supporting Actor

There is a buzz that the new Onkyo is being sold on the CC web site for $999. It lists for $1500. People have been going in and actually prepaying at this price. Some think it is mispriced. Some think it is a loss leader to get people back into the store. If you can afford it, this would be a great buy.
    Russ
    [Edited last by Russell _T on October 03, 2001 at 08:27 PM]

11. DavidAM

DavidAM Second Unit

Ok, so I've pretty much decided on the 595 over the 696, but someone else posted a topic about the Marantz 5200 and I started looking into that receiver and I like what I see!! How does that reciever compare to the 595? Its rated at 85wpc. Does Marantz rate their wattage across the board like Onkyo or at 1khz? Their site claims its a high current amp like Onkyo does, so I'm thinking it may be the same thing.
    Also, how does the quality and feel of Marantz recievers compare to Onkyo? I can play with Onkyo's firsthand, but I'll have to find a place locally that sells Marantz to check them out in person.
    Does Marantz have the same build quality as Onkyo? How about sound? The other thread mentioned they are warm sounding, not neutral like the Onkyo. Although I like neutral, I think warm might fit my taste better since I use it for music and HT.
    Finally, will the Marantz handle all the equipment I listed earlier? I need to have enough connections for my stuff. If this was your decision, which one would you pick....the 595 at $350 or the 5200 at $429? Besides the extra 10 watts for the Marantz, it also has DD6.1 instead of 5.1.
    And thanks again for your opinions guys.

12. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

David,
    Try these places:
    SOUND & SCREEN DESIGN
    1250 E. HILLSBROUGH AVE.
    813-237-4800
    STRUCTURED TECHNOLOGIES
    204 N. HOWARD AVE.
    813-251-5170
    STRAM ELECTRONICS, INC.
    2825 S. MACDILL AVE
    813-831-8551
    BAY AREA AUDIO
    33160 US 19 NORTH
    PALM HARBOR, FL 34684
    727-781-1704
    INTERFACE SYSTEMS INTERGRATION
    724-A 2ND AVE SOUTH
    ST. PETERSBURG, FL 33701
    727-895-8466

13. norman_maclean

I bought a 5200 and LOVE it. The 6.1 is unbelievable. I have JBL NSP1 5 speakers, sony wasm? 40 sub, and an old jbl center for rear center. Obviously not speakers like many have here, but it sounds incredible. For sound I would recommend that very, very highly. As for video switching I have had some issues. Actually my first unit was a very early serial # and had waves coming from the monitor out S-channel (one used for OSD). It also had a hiss in the sound. I brought it back and got a newer serial number. An odd note the newer one (same model # just later serial) they have changed the manufactuaring plant. My first one was made in a different country then the second. If you do a search on my name (when that works) there is a pretty detialed thread on the problems i have and on the differences. I LOVE the one I have now. But there are issues with the video...even on this one. I think only on the S-Video monitor out (not on any of the other S outs). My dealer said the Marantz dealer told him this
    is a known issue for the 5200 and they have it fixed in the newest models, but he specifically said they have had no issues with the 6200. If you want video I would suggest buying from a local authorized dealer so you can deal easily if you have problems, like I did - my dealer was great. The Marantz has a 3 year warranty so if it isn't working just bring it back and they will get you a new unit.
    I would definatly consider the Marantz. The 6.1 to me is enough for extra money. It does 6.1 for all dts, and DD titles, even if they are not DD-EX or DTS-ES...it just matrixes the rear signals. It sounds incredible. Totally surrounded by sound, and you can still hear distinct sounds from the left rear or right rear if it is only supposed to come from there.

14. DavidAM

DavidAM Second Unit

Thanks for the input guys. And I'll check out some of those stores you listed bryan....thanks for that list!
    Anyone want to comment specifically on the 595 vs the 5200? Pros and cons of each and which you'd pick and why?