Help picking my first sub

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Evan_Haas, Mar 4, 2004.

1. Evan_Haas

Evan_Haas Extra

I am currently a college student living in a smallish apartment, so obviously money is an issue. I currently have a Sony STR-DA777ES Receiver, with Paradigm Titans as fronts. I currently ran into some extra money so I'm looking to buy by first sub. My main two options at the moment are the Paradigm PDR-8 or PDR-10. I'm looking to keep it in the $300-$350 range, although if there is a better option for less, obviously the better. So lets hear some opinions.

2. eryn shannon

eryn shannon Stunt Coordinator

Have a listen to the Athena AS-P300 and the PSB subzeroi both great 8" subs.

3. JesseBro

JesseBro Stunt Coordinator

get the dayton powered 10" from www.partsexpress.com

i got mine for $138 shipped..... excellent excellent value, especially for a college student like me and you

it rocks my apartment goes pretty low for the money

4. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

5. Evan_Haas

Evan_Haas Extra

should i be concerned about matching the brand of speaker? or does that not really matter? i want to be a good decision because i plan on keeping this for quite a while.

6. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

Matching brands is pointless, though hard initially to get over. Buy the best product for the $$$$ at your pricepoint.

7. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Let me clarify this by saying matching the brand of your speakers to the brand of your sub is pointless. Matching the brand of your front three speakers is very important and matching the surrounds is a little less important. Do a search on "timbre matching" to see why this is. The sub is not playuing the same frequencies as the other 5 speakers, so timbre matching is a moot point.

8. Tim Stumpf

Tim Stumpf Stunt Coordinator

I have the 10" dayton and it rocks my living room (my poor upstairs neighber). I can't see how they sell these for $125. I would think it would be perfect for what you describe.

9. Evan_Haas

Evan_Haas Extra

so would you guys say that i'd be getting a good deal with that dayton, or is it even so much that you think I wouldn't gain anything by spending more money and getting the paradigm instead of the dayton?

10. BurtS

BurtS Stunt Coordinator

You think the dayton sub is better then the polk psw202 sub, for me shipping is 38.08 on the boat and 74.20 priority, crazy heh.

11. Evan_Haas

Evan_Haas Extra

hey! no thread hijacking! [​IMG]

12. Evan_Haas

Evan_Haas Extra

do any stores carry the dayton or athena subs? I'd like to be able to listen to them before buying

13. PatrickMiller

I have an Infinity Entra 10" sub @150w. I talked a friend into buying the dayton so I could compare. I placed them in the same corner, set their gains at max. Set the receiver's bass to 0. I only had a couple hours with it. I listened to music and watched the inro to LOTR. I used my SP meter and they plotted an almost identical response at the same amplitude. They sounded almost identical to me. I dont know which is better. Mine looks a lot nicer but you can buy 2 daytons with change left over for the price of mine! If I had not gotten my setup on sale I would be very upset![​IMG]

14. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

Look into av123.com and they have a good sub with their ELT system that is getting good reviews that would be in your price range.