What's new

Help Picking Equipment (1 Viewer)

foldog22

Auditioning
Real Name
Josh Foley
Hey Guys / Gals,
I was hoping you all would be able to help me select some equipment for my home theater system. Right now I have a Panasonic Home Theater system, it includes a 42" Panasonic Plasma w/ 2 HDMI inputs, a Panasonic 5.1 receiver/dvd/fm/am/xm all in one, a satellite set top box and a PS3. I also currently have an HDMI switcher because I have all the equipment in a closet away from the TV, so I only have 1 HDMI cord running to the TV. I am looking to replace the receiver/dvd/fm/am/xm with a better receiver because it doesn't have enough audio/video inputs and power. I am looking to spend around $500-$600. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help in advance.

Josh - The newby Home Theater person!

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Maybe check out the Onkyo 805 and see if you can find a good enough deal to get it down to ~$600. I saw it for ~$600 at Amazon for maybe a week a few weeks back. Right now, they have it for ~$660 I think. Chances are it'll come back down toward ~$600 in the next few weeks me thinks -- and maybe in time for some clearance pricing as Onkyo start rolling out a new replacement model in the not too distant future me thinks.

The Onkyo 805 gets great reviews, especially considering the price range. Only real caveat is that it runs pretty hot -- definitely would need good ventilation for it and maybe add a small cooling fan or similar to help out.

_Man_

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I second the recomendation if you can get a deal on the Onkyo TX-SR805. The main thing with the 805 is that you need to make sure it has enough ventalation as it runs very hot. The scaler may not be the greatest but if you find it lacks to much for your taste you can allways bypass it. It is very difficult to get this much receiver for as little as this one sales for. Oh and make sure you have a sturdy shelf for this pig to sit on, (Weight 50.9 lbs.).

Onkyo TX-SR805 Specifications
130 Watts per channel X 7 W (8 ohms, 20 Hz–20 kHz, 0.05%)
THD (Total Harmonic Distortion) 0.05% (Rated power)
High Instantaneous Current Capability 60A
Amplifier Frequency Response 5Hz-100kHz
S/N Ratio (LINE IN) 110dB
THX ultra2 certified (If that is important to you)
Neural Surround
HDMI V1.3 repeater (3in/1out, 1080p compatible)
Component Video 3 Inputs / 1 Out
Component Video Bandwidth 100MHz

Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital EX, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD and DTS, DTS-ES, DTS-HD Master Audio decoding & PCM Audio.

Burr-Brown 192K/24 Bit DACs for clean sound
Multi-Band Speaker EQ
Multi-Channel Input 7.1
Surround Pre-Outs 7.1
XM Radio Ready
SIRIUS Radio Ready
RS-232 Input for devices like a Crestron Remote System
12V Trigger (2)
Pre-Pro/Learning Remote
Auto Speaker Calibration W/Mic. (Audyssey MultEQ XT)
Input Name Edit
Warranty 2 YEARS
Weight: 50.9 lbs. (23.1 kg)

Onkyo TX-SR805 - 7.1-Channel Home Theater Receiver | Model Information | Onkyo USA Home Theater Products

Yamaha RX-V663 MSRP $549.95
RMS Output Power (20Hz - 20kHz) 95 Watts per channel x 7
Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby True HD and DTS-HD MA
HDMI (In/Out) (2 / 1) Ver. 1.3
Component Video (In/Out) (3 / 1)

RX-V663

Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K MSRP $599.00
RMS Output Power 130 Watts per channel x 7
1kHz w/0.05% THD @ 8 ohm
Not high current
Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby True HD and DTS-HD MA
HDMI (In/Out) (3 / 1) Ver. 1.3

Pioneer USA - Pioneer A/V Receivers

There are other solutions from Denon, Yamaha, Pioneer that are inexspensive but no lossless decoding and very few HDMI conections. I am assuming that you will want lossless decoding in your new receiver. If not than I can modify my recomendations, but the 805 still offers alot of bang for the buck. Depending on cash flow the 805 might end up being what replaces my current Yamaha RX-V995.

Hope this helps

foldog22

Auditioning
Real Name
Josh Foley
What is "lossless decoding''? Sorry, i am not very up on this stuff1!

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

The ability to decode the new 'lossless' formats (TrueHD, DTS Master HD) found on BluRay and HD DVDs. Only important if you have a player that does not decode them internally (like the Panasonic BD30). For players like the Sony Playstation, this is not an issue.

Add the Onkyo 705 to your list of AVR's to check out. They are going as cheap as $499 or less some places.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Sounds like a solid deal, if it's just very minor cosmetic issue(s) and the warranty is still intact.

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phyllisbernhard
Recent bookmarks