Help picking a widescreen TV

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Mike D., Jun 23, 2003.

1. Mike D.

Mike D. Stunt Coordinator

Apr 8, 1999
    Okay, I'm ready to buy my first widescreen TV. It is going to be used pretty much exclusively for watching DVD's. We rarely watch any regular TV, and when we do we usually watch upstairs in our living room. This widescreen display will be for a dedicated HT room in the basement (current 32 inch TV in there will move upstairs to living room). When Penn State football games are available in high definition I might consider getting a tuner, but a built-in tuner is not really necessary.

It's a relatively small room, 11x14, so I don't need a real big display. I'm thinking 42 inch minimum and 51 max.

I have an old Toshiba 3700 DVD player, it's not progressive scan so I suppose I'm going to have to upgrade that as well. It's been a heck of a reliable DVD player for me, bought it back in 1998 I believe. Ancient as far as DVD players go!

I have a Circuit City, Tweeter, Best Buy, and Hi Fi House (local chain), just wondering if anyone can give me some advice as to what I need to ask when I start looking around. I'm not adverse to purchasing online if it's a good deal from a reliable site.

Thanks a lot!
  2. JohnnyCorona

JohnnyCorona Agent

Jun 16, 2003
    I bought the Samsung Widescreen HDTV 42" and I love it. Cant beat it for the price. I think they are currently 1200-1300. I paid 1500. It kinda sucks for TV, but for DVDs its great!.

And yes! You;ll need a progressive scan DVD. They are cheap now, a matching samsung was 130 I think.

3. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

May 5, 2002
    Pioneer SD533, Toshiba 42hd82/83(newest model)...
  4. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer

May 9, 2002
    Cameron Yee
    I have a Toshiba 42hdx82 which I got for 1400.00. It was a bit of a risk for me because there were rumors of CRT problems. I'm still crossing my fingers, but am definitely enjoying the television. Keep in mind switching to widescreen rear projection takes a small adjustment but it's a good change to make. And given the size and display capabilities, it will show the imperfections of poorly mastered DVDs and regular television. With my 32" I was sitting about six feet back. I had to pull back to eight feet for the 42".