What's new

Help picking a widescreen TV (1 Viewer)

Mike D.

Stunt Coordinator
Okay, I'm ready to buy my first widescreen TV. It is going to be used pretty much exclusively for watching DVD's. We rarely watch any regular TV, and when we do we usually watch upstairs in our living room. This widescreen display will be for a dedicated HT room in the basement (current 32 inch TV in there will move upstairs to living room). When Penn State football games are available in high definition I might consider getting a tuner, but a built-in tuner is not really necessary.

It's a relatively small room, 11x14, so I don't need a real big display. I'm thinking 42 inch minimum and 51 max.

I have an old Toshiba 3700 DVD player, it's not progressive scan so I suppose I'm going to have to upgrade that as well. It's been a heck of a reliable DVD player for me, bought it back in 1998 I believe. Ancient as far as DVD players go!

I have a Circuit City, Tweeter, Best Buy, and Hi Fi House (local chain), just wondering if anyone can give me some advice as to what I need to ask when I start looking around. I'm not adverse to purchasing online if it's a good deal from a reliable site.

Thanks a lot!
Mike

JohnnyCorona

Agent
I bought the Samsung Widescreen HDTV 42" and I love it. Cant beat it for the price. I think they are currently 1200-1300. I paid 1500. It kinda sucks for TV, but for DVDs its great!.

And yes! You;ll need a progressive scan DVD. They are cheap now, a matching samsung was 130 I think.

Johnny

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I have a Toshiba 42hdx82 which I got for 1400.00. It was a bit of a risk for me because there were rumors of CRT problems. I'm still crossing my fingers, but am definitely enjoying the television. Keep in mind switching to widescreen rear projection takes a small adjustment but it's a good change to make. And given the size and display capabilities, it will show the imperfections of poorly mastered DVDs and regular television. With my 32" I was sitting about six feet back. I had to pull back to eight feet for the 42".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks