Help picking a sub

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tim Reimler, Apr 4, 2002.

1. Tim Reimler

Tim Reimler Auditioning

Hello, I was directed here from a member of DSLReports so here I am. I want to get an OK sub without spending a ton of $$$, under 200. Here is what I got

15 x 12 room ina a basment w/ drop cellings and carpet

A Sony Digital ready reciever

Plain Jane Phillips DVD player

DD decoder

CD changer

My compter w/Sound Blaster Live! 5.1

2 JBL surround speaker

A JBL center channel

And 2 unknow boxed speakers w/ a tweater, mid, and a woffer each.

Since it was asked before I will be playing just about everything DVDs CDs and games on my PC. So with all that said what would be an OK sub if not alot of $$$. Thanks

2. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

3. BruZZi

BruZZi Second Unit

4. Tim Reimler

Tim Reimler Auditioning

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into it.

5. Cave Canem

Cave Canem Auditioning

I have the afore mentioned Sony. Great woofer, plenty of base. I got mine for $189 at best buy, im sure they are cheaper elsewhere.
    I believe Aiwa has a 10" 150w for around $150 at circuit city. I went with the sony b/c thats what my whole system is.
    When you buy the woofer, do not be taken in by the "YOU NEED THE $40 MONSTER WOOFER CABLE TO GET THE BEST BASE". Go to radio shack and get the gold series, sounds just as good and is about $28 cheaper. I know this from experience. [​IMG]

6. Manuel Delaflor

Manuel Delaflor Supporting Actor

Take a look to the Audiosource SW Fifteen, it can be found around the net for about the same that the Sony, but its better. It have 5Hz more extension (25Hz vs 30Hz on the Sony) and it have more power (250 watts RMS).

7. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

I'd go with the SA-WM40 and get an older used SVS driver for it. Should sound much better then.

8. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

If you think you could handle building a box and cutting some circles (ie you have or can borrow the tools and basic know how) consider heading over to the DIY/Advanced section and asking about building your own.

You would be amazed at what is possible with $200-$250. At $200 you won't have much money left for finish, so it might not look that great until you can afford to put a finish on it, but it will be leaps and bounds above what you can get commercially for $200 (if done right you could expect to get close to or match SVS 20-39PCi performance).

9. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    Tim,

If you get the Sony, search for the posts talking about "stuffing" the sub. $5 of polyester fiberfill will improve the sound of the Sony...

10. David King

David King Stunt Coordinator

I have the Sony and the pollyfill is a requirement. The sub is very boomy out of the box, but add a little polly and the sub is very very respectable. I have not heard all

11. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

The Sony enclosure will be too small, the port will be to narrow, and the port will tune the enclosure too high for the SVS driver.

12. Tim Reimler

Tim Reimler Auditioning

Thanks guys. I'll give your suggestions a good looking over. What do you think about KLH?

13. Justin Bowser

I just received my JBL PB10 yesterday and I'm impressed! I could "feel" it at the other end of the house with SW Episode I going...