What's new

help picking a new htib. (1 Viewer)

baconweaver

Auditioning
Real Name
matt
hi, i'm looking into picking up a new fairly basic sound system for my bed room, that eventually will end up in my living room when i no longer have these roommates. anyways i had an lg 5.1 system that i really liked, it was pretty loud and very clear, the sub could have been a bit better but it was still pretty good. the only thing i didn't like about it was that the speakers were hard wired, so i couldn't really place the speakers exactly where i wanted them. i'm looking for something preferably under $250 but maybe up to $300 where the speakers have ports rather then wires coming out of them, so i can change things around to what i need. with good sound quality. any help from people who've got systems fitting what i'm looking for would be great, thanks.

sx4dude2013

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
baconweaver said:
hi, i'm looking into picking up a new fairly basic sound system for my bed room, that eventually will end up in my living room when i no longer have these roommates. anyways i had an lg 5.1 system that i really liked, it was pretty loud and very clear, the sub could have been a bit better but it was still pretty good. the only thing i didn't like about it was that the speakers were hard wired, so i couldn't really place the speakers exactly where i wanted them. i'm looking for something preferably under $250 but maybe up to $300 where the speakers have ports rather then wires coming out of them, so i can change things around to what i need. with good sound quality. any help from people who've got systems fitting what i'm looking for would be great, thanks.
The best bang for your buck..... http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-S3500-5-1-Channel-Theater-Receiver/dp/B0077V88V8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357937272&sr=8-1&keywords=onkyo+ht-s3500

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
If you don't mind buying a factory refurbished unit then ac4l.com has the HT-5500 for $269 + sh. Main upgrade over the 3500 is a powered subwoofer. I bought my marantz 6005/7006/4003 from them as refurbs. They've been good as new so far. http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKHTS5500/Onkyo-HT-S5500-7.1-Home-Theater-Package-w/USB-for-iPod/iPhone/1.html

baconweaver

Auditioning
Real Name
matt
unfortunately i have had very bad luck with refurbished units in the past. so i want to avoid them. as far as onyko goes iv'e never owned one of their products, are they pretty good as far as price to performance goes? i may consider spending a bit more if it's worth it to pick up one new. thanks, gene and brian.

baconweaver

Auditioning
Real Name
matt
well i found that model on amazon new and the amount of people saying the sub died first day or first week, or even going back and editing reviews a few months after was enough to scare me off. on second thought i read the 5 star reviews, and it turns out the people having issues were all just not reading the instruction book, so i'll consider it. thanks again gene.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You can find bad reviews on everything. Like I repeat, day after day, cause people "read reviews without bothering to do research"... Onkyo sells the most AVR/pre-package. Sell the most, you have the most break. Unfortunately you don't want to spend the money to get the Denon DHT-1312BA or any one of the Yamaha. So you are stuck with 1 option.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
With powered subwoofers it's extremely important to make sure the On/Off switch is in the Off position when making connections and plugging them. Same with displays. Make sure they are off when making connections and plugging them in. I still have a dead 10" Dayton sub around here somewhere because I didn't follow that simple advice (as always, was in too much of a hurry to get things done :rolleyes: ). Here's the Denon/Boston setup Sam mentioned ($229 + sh). I know you said you didn't care for refurbs but a 3 or 5 year extended warranty is only $35/$50. http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENDHT1312XP/DENON-DHT-1312XP-Home-Theater-System-w/SYS1312-Speaker-Package/1.html#!warranties The Denon/Boston 391 package is only $199 (+sh). Guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I've bought a few refurbed pieces from ac4l.com and all were good as new.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Shows you how much I follow the "pre-package" market.... I'd take either Denon over the Onkyo... "Better" speakers...less featured AVR...but you can't have everything at $250...

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I've always felt these receiver/speaker packages from Onkyo and Denon were a good option for people who are just starting out, don't have a lot of money to spend or just aren't interested in a full blown HT setup. I also think I'm the only one around here who thinks some of the Onkyo speaker packages really aren't that bad. Well, maybe Mike. But this system is similar to the one that came in the HT-780 and HT-800 which sounded pretty good to me for what they were. But hey, I'm just another knuckhead on the internet so what do I know :blush: . (but I'm right :D ). http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKSKSHT540/Onkyo-SKS-HT540-7.1-channel-Home-Theater-Speaker-System/1.html I liked it a lot better when it was priced at $149 but $189 for 7 speakers and a subwoofer still isn't too bad. And the surround speakers are actual two-way. Most just have a single driver. Add this Onkyo receiver and it would be a decent system for not that much money. Way better than the typical htib would. http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKHTRC330/Onkyo-HT-RC330-5.1-CHANNEL-HOME-THEATER-RECEIVER/1.html

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The only "pre-package" I wish would go away....(or at least made modern...) The Onkyo 3400/3500. Yes, I know it is better than every PMPO rated craptastic out there...but come on. You'd think with Onkyo's economies of scale...it costs them "too much" to continue making 1 AVR that directly powers a passive subwoofer...

baconweaver

Auditioning
Real Name
matt
ok well i bought the 5500 new with a 2 year warranty to put my mind at ease. now the fun part, tomorrow setting it up. i want it for my music through my tv. what's the best way to set it up? i think i read that digital optical can't support 7.1? only 5.1. so how would i out put from my tv to the reciever? hdmi? i think i read that here as well, but i didn''t even know that was possible. or how to do it. so far this sounds fairly simple i think, heres where it gets tricky. i need to get that music to my tv from my laptop through hdmi as well. is this all going to work out?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
7.1 only exists on BD, period. Forget the TV as hub. Connect the laptop HDMI into the 5500, then run the 5500 HDMI into the TV. That is how you are supposed to do it...and is the VERY REASON you buy an AVR with HDMI switching.

baconweaver

Auditioning
Real Name
matt
thanks for the info. didn't know that, i just bought it based on this forums suggestions and the reviews on amazon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks