What's new

Help picking a display device (1 Viewer)

Cloud

Agent
Real Name
Jeff
I've been shopping around and do my homework for a while and I'm getting ready to make a purchase soon. Just wondering what everyone elses thoughts are and maybe finding some pros/cons that I missed before I make my decision.
Will be used for mostly 1080p, some 720p material. Lots of movies and gaming.

This is what I've been looking at and what my thoughts on them are:

Mitsubishi 73" DLP
Pros:
Best size/dollar ratio
No Burn-in
Cons:
Depth
Slightly narrowing viewing angles

Samsung 58" Plasma
Pros:
I love the dark blacks and awesome colors
I like the picture on this best
Cons:
High power consumption
Screen is noticeably warmer than both dlp and lcd
Possible Burn-in

52" LCD - Various brands
Pros:
Seems to be the 'standard' in big screen technology, with lots of support
Lowest power consumption of the 3
Cons:
I was not impressed with the picture quality outside the native resolutions
Dead pixels seem to be a common occurance
Response times don't often seem up to par for gaming/high action movies
Many units I've seen don't have great black levels
Less size for the money

Front projectors are out of the question due to size constraints. Other than that I'd like to hear others opinions on the various technologies, and maybe some first hand experiences with the various models.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
You missed one con under DLP. If you purchase a bulb-based DLP set you will have to replace the bulb ever few years at a cost of between $200 and $400.

With that said, I think you should consider the LED DLP sets from Samsung as well. Last year's 61" model (HL-T6187S) is still available for under $2000. The new model (HL61A750) is either in stores or will be there soon and will be $2400 MSRP.

Kreisler

Auditioning
Real Name
Fritz
Here is a practicle item to consider and many people ( myself included) overlook it.

You need to look for a HDTV that has the correct number of connections. These days, the connection you need is HDMI. You need about 3 of these on the HDTV to be safe. The reason is that all true HD sources will output the best 1080P on HDMI instead of component and forget about the other connections.

Most TV have 1, but you need to specifically look for one with 2-3.

Trust me, my HDTV only had 1 HDMI port and I had to get a external device called HDMI switch to connect my HD sources: HD Cable Box, PS3 and HD-DVD player.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I've owned a 50" plasma for a year, and the power consumption hasn't really impacted my electricity bill to a noticeable extent.

Cloud

Agent
Real Name
Jeff

Thanks for the input. A lot of people (who don't own them) tell me they draw tons of power. I've also heard thats mostly because the 'show room' settings are cranked way up and normal 'in house' setting are right on par with dlp's. I did notice however that the screens emit quite a bit of heat. Any input on that?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Maybe if I sat 6" from the screen, I'd notice the heat, but again, not a big deal to me as I sit 9' away. But I guess some people are sensitive to temperature changes, so it could be an issue.

Cloud

Agent
Real Name
Jeff
And one more question to throw out there: 120hz vs 60hz, is it worth the extra money for the 120hz?

Audioman321

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jane Smiths
120hz is for sure better than the 60hz. Well I recommend you to have a look at the Samsung A650, one of my friends got one weeks ago, that tv is cool. You may need to read some reviews for it. And Samsung issued a firmware update, via their website on 4/3/08, that fixes the random shut off problem. You will need a USB flash drive to apply the update via the Wiselink USB port on the TV. This firmware update also enhances the AMP effect on all sets. And their price is quite nice now a deal on it is $2420 instead of $2580.

Cloud

Agent
Real Name
Jeff

Well when I search Samsung A650, I get cell phones. Point me in the right direction?

smg035

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt Goins
i just put the 73" mits in my brand new theater room and it is amazing. I was up in the air and finally decided to purchase the WD73833. like I said it has only been on fora couple days but I am very hapy with the decision. HD Sat/PS3/ and still one more HDMI slot. Go with the mits but be warned you need to be able to sit about 15 ft from the tv it is BIG

Cloud

Agent
Real Name
Jeff

While I'd love to have something that big, I'm ruling it out for a few reasons. First I've decided to go with a 120hz capable tv. Secondly I've heard a few people having problems with the screen material sagging and coming undone in a screen of this size. I've pretty much decided on the Samsung HL-61A750, all the features I was looking for in a price I can afford.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
I'm picky about a lot of things. And I've been critically evaluating displays for some time. If I couldn't go front projection, I'd love to buy an industrial Panasonic 65" plasma - those puppies - what, TH-65PF10UK? - are fantastic displays - although come with a fantastic price (something like $15,000. Oh, wait, it's only about $8000. A bargain!)

Leo

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

So did you get the Samsung 61" LED DLP? How are you liking it? How's the viewing angle on it?

I was also pretty set on getting it until someone mentioned that the demo unit he saw had quite bad viewing angle (and the corners were noticeably dimmer even viewing from the sweet spot).

I still haven't found a local store to check one out, but I did check out last year's model of the same and it did seem quite underwhelming next to all the various plasmas and LCDs although I suspect at least part of the problem was due to the bad (flood) lighting right near the spot where the demo model stood -- this was at a local Best Buy. Considering that it seems like the store was mainly pushing the higher priced LCDs and plasmas and didn't stock/display the new Samsung DLPs (and even seemed to have left the primo Mits 73" DLP running on a likely dying bulb despite being situated at a prime location), I do have to wonder if they didn't put their few remaining RPTVs in bad "light" on purpose -- well, perhaps not completely on purpose, but certainly didn't seem to care to help them out any.

And it seems like various other stores are also essentially phasing out their DLP sales -- a nearby PC Richards had zero DLPs, and even J&R seems to be phasing them out.

_Man_

Phaelon

Agent
HL61A750 is down to $1274.95 delivered price from Vann's Electronics of Montana. I spotted one for $1599 at the local Best Buy a few weeks ago marked "open box special - last one". That prompted me to check Amazon... who had it for $1399.... and showed Vann's as the supplier. I checked Vann's reputation - which appears to be very good - and foudn it was $1274.95 on their web site.

It's a shame that DLP seems to be going away now that they've finally nailed down the technology. The LED light source works as advertised and once I did some basic calibration this is delivering the best picture I've ever seen on any video display device. Granted... I have limited experience and I'm sure a pair of stacked Runco HD projectors will blow it away but this is one incredible bargain for the price and I'm quite pleased.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Are you sure you saw the 61A750 for that price, not the 61A650? I'd buy it right now, if it's true. :P :D

I'm looking right this moment (on vanns.com), and it's not even close. I've also had it in my Amazon shopping cart for ages now, but have never seen it that low. It's been hovering between $1550-1600 lately, but that's about it.

Anyway, Vanns does seem to be a pretty solid online store w/ competitive prices. I picked up a Denon SD2910 from them almost 2 years ago w/out any problems at all -- and I might've bought something else from them long ago also, maybe some other DVD player, but can't remember too well now.

_Man_

<florida oranges>

Auditioning
Real Name
James Mason
DLP is crap. My buddy has to replace the bulb all the time and the bulb goes out every 12-14 months..... not a good investment.

One thing you bever mentioned was a HD projector. I use a "small" 37 inch Samsung LCD TV for my normal daily TV. My HD Projector & screen come out for movies and big football games. Extends the life of the projector and ends up costing less.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

There are new DLPs these days that do not require such regular bulb changes anymore. For instance, the Samsung HLXXA750 series uses a LED light engine that should probably last 8-10x as long as the old style bulbs, if the claims are accurate. And the latest high end Mits DLPs are starting to use laser light for something different and potentially even longer lasting (w/ possibly better PQ) though they'll probably stay too expensive for a while yet.

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks