help picking 42" screen

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Armand_Boivin, Jun 7, 2006.

1. Armand_Boivin

Armand_Boivin Stunt Coordinator

armand Boivin
    Good evening, It has been a very long time since I was last here.. loads of things have changed.. including entering the military at 31yrs old.. anyway we can save that for another time.. My wife has given me the green light so I am in the market for a 42" - 50" widescreen LCD, DLP, Plasma, or Lcos tv. The biggest thing it will be used for is DVD, television and xbox 360 games. Our room is about 11.5ft by 21ft. The sofa is about 11ft from the the wall that the tv will go on. The TV will go on the 11.5 side. We would like to get a tv with a really small footprint. right now the budget looks to be about $2000 +- ;-) Any information and recommendations will be a great help. Thanks in advance for all the help.

2. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    Check this thread, started by someone in the market for a new TV with requirements very similiar to yours.

Regards,

Joe

3. Craig

Craig Second Unit

A 50" screen would be a better choice at your stated viewing distance. I used to sit about 11 feet from my 56" Toshiba widescreen in my den, and the screen was none too large. If you can wall mount a plasma or lcd flatscreen you'd save floorspace of course, however if you mount a plasma on a stand you're going to be eating up floorspace that's close to that of many RPTVs.

I've got a 42" plasma sitting on it's stand on top of a dresser in the bedroom. The feet on the small stand are about 16" long, front to back, so the plasma actually eats up most of the top of the dresser. In contrast the 42" Sony 3LCD RPTV (A10 model) is about 14 inches deep and the 50" Sony is only 16 inches deep, and I've seen some DLP models that are pretty slim also. You're essentially looking at bigscreen tabletop TVs that you can sit on a stand that will hold your components underneath. Since you're going to need a stand anyway to hold your DVD player, etc, you're not going to be loosing much floorspace with one of the slimmer RPTVs.

4. Armand_Boivin

armand Boivin
    right now it seems that we are looking at either the samsung or the sony KDS-R50XBR1 depending on the prices we can find.. i am not sure how ordering off the internet is for something like this but I would suspect that driving out to bestbuy or something might be the best bet. So you would recommend for sitting about 10-11 feet from the tv to get @ a 50" ?? Are there any other models or brands to look at??

5. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Yes. [​IMG] As detailed in this post in the thread linked to above. Specifically, in your size and price range, and given that you shop at Best Buy, I'd suggest you take a look at this 52" JVC model. Over-all I prefer LCoS (liquid crystal on silicon) over DLP and LCD RP for microdisplays, and the 1080p Sony SXRD sets (Sony's name for their proprietary version of LCoS, JVC calls theirs HD-ILA) are just too pricey. The extra resloution at that size point and viewing distance simply isn't worth the extra money. Plus I'm sitting out the hi-def DVD format war and have essentially no access to native 1080p programming, so I figure by the time 1080p is really an issue for me I'll be looking for a new main HT set anyway and moving the JVC to another room. Naturally your mileage may vary. [​IMG]

Since I bought my set last year JVC has introduced some 1080p HD-ILA models, but they don't seem to be widely carried in stores yet. I gather that they're somewhat cheaper than the comparably-sized Sony's, but still substantially more than the 720p models. Again YMMV.

By all means make sure you sign up for the BB Reward Zone program if you buy there. Between upgrading stuff at home and buying gifts, I went on an HD tear between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Between my accumulated RZ $10 and $20 coupons from earlier in the year and 10% and 12% off member exclusive discounts I'd received in the mail for that week, I got the JVC 56" for under $2300 and a 32" Westinghouse LCD flat panel for $800 even, not to mention the $180 in RZ coupons that I got in the mail a couple of weeks later for all the stuff I bought that day. [​IMG]

Regards,

Joe

6. Jack Heckler

Jack Heckler Extra

The two best 42" models that I have seen are the Samsung HLS4266W DLP and the Sony KDFE42A10 LCD. They are both 720p/1080i and can be purchased from TV Authority for about $1500-1600 delivered...I think they are $1800-1900 at BB and CC plus tax and delivery. If you want to plan for the future, the 50" Samsung HLS5087W DLP is a true 1080p model that is $2295 delivered from TV Authority...not sure where BB or CC pricing is on this model.

Good hunting...Jack

7. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Armand:

Also check out TV Authority and Visual Apex. They are sponsors of the forum and will give you a great deal, warranty and have great return policies if you aren't happy. They both are class outfits to work with.

Parker

8. Armand_Boivin

armand Boivin
    my goodness it has been a long time since I have been able to visit here.. well.. the TV hasn't happened but it should happen within the next couple weeks. I have a nice check coming in with EXTRA money woohoo so.. now after moving from my last apt.. sitting distance has dropped to 5 - 6 ft. Would the 50/52 inch tv be too big for that area?? also what tv's would you recommend in this arena ... probably around 2k. Thanks in advance and nice to see you all again..

9. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino
    You can generally sit closer to an HD set of a given size than you could to an SD set of the same size because of the improved picture quality. Scan lines and other flaws in an SD image are more visible the closer you are. After my last move I ended up watching my 10 year old SD Toshiba 56" widescreen CRT RPTV from about 7 feet instead of the 15 to 20 to I'd watched from in my previous two residences. It looked like hell, and not just because it was getting old. I replaced it with the JVC HD-ILA described above, which is also 56" and to me it is certainly not too big. It looks great and is more "enveloping" when watching movies. (Spent the last two nights watching my new Star Wars DVDs. Return of the Jedi is on the menu for tonight. [​IMG]) And the picture, especially with HD material, stands up to scrutiny from this distance. (He said, watching an HD football game as he types. [​IMG])

My set, the 720p 56" HD-ILA, is on sale now at Best Buy for under $1899.

Regards,

Joe

10. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Armand

Joe really knows his stuff. I will offer up another suggestion. The Panasonic TH-50PX60U is a terrific 50 inch plasma. I don't know that you can make direct comparisons, however, in the tests by the only non profit organization, the Panny plasma significantly outscored the JVC in HD picture quality, DVD picture quality, regular TV picture quality. Of course, the Panny plasma will cost you $600-$800 more than the JVC, and the JVC is a 56 inch, however, at 5-6 feet, a 50 should still be awesome.

I am sure this will set Joe on fire, but so be it. I've learned a few things from Joe, so I figure it is all part of my continuing education [​IMG]

11. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino
    If there is one thing that applies to buying TVs these days it is the phrase "Your mileage may vary." [​IMG]

There is no one "best" technology/brand/style of TV. One size does not fit all.

All of the current technologies have pros and cons in terms of PQ, cost, available sizes, even color and styling. And they vary in how well they handle different source material (DVD, hi-def DVD, SD, HD, OTA, cable satellite, computer, game console) and even programming (sports, movies, regular TV, hi-def TV.) Just as there is no one "right" choice for everyone, it is hard to cal anyone's selection "wrong", because it might be just right for them and how they watch TV.

I do like to talk up LCoS where I think it is a good fit for what someone says they're looking for, because I have experience with it and because I think it is a good value at a certain price and size point, but I'm not going to try to talk someone who is set on plasma or LCD flat-panel or DLP out of it. I might just suggest they loock at LCoS, too. [​IMG]

Regards,

Joe

12. Armand_Boivin

armand Boivin
    I was just at best buy comparing and they had the JVC but my wife like the picture quality of this one better..
    Toshiba TheaterWide 56" DLP HDTV
    Model: 56HM66
    It seemed crisper. I understand that the colors of the sets in the store do not do any of the tv justice. what are you thoughts on this one?? I will look at the plasma but... is there any truth that plasma tend to burn out faster and need to be replaced?? I was told that depending on how much you move them also will have an effect?? I know that in the next 12 months I will move atleast one more time. the 500 or so more might be worth it if they are THAT good??? but are they THAT good?? [​IMG] let me know what you think.. thank you.

ohh I was looking on tv authority and can get the panasonic plasma for 2300 shipped... also I happen to see the Pioneer PDP-505CMX for about 2500.. what are your thoughts on any of these.

13. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Armand

As Joe mentioned, he is really fond of LCoS. Some people find DLP sharper and with greater contrast, but Joe can argue that too.

Best Buy has the 50 inch Panasonic plasma for $2,699 with 3 year 0% financing, so they are not anxious to sell it at that price.

$2,300 shipped from TVA is a great price too. Buying locally has its advantages, and 36 month 0 interest is a real incentive too.

Trying to put myself in your shoes, I would let the boss, I mean, your wife, play a big part in the decision. 56 inch will have a good bit more impact than 50 inch, and she really liked it.

If your wife liked the Tosh, that would be a real incentive!

Plasma has a life of at least 60,000 hours. So, that should not be a concern. Moving anything is not great, but, in fact plasma has no color wheel like DLP, so, I would think plasma would move at least as well.

Unless you plan on mounting the plasma on the wall, you will need a stand. So, now you are talking close to $3K. BB has that Toshiba for $2K plus a stand. Pretty good for a 56 inch which will have a lot more impact than a 50.

Again, I would gingerly suggest that you give your wife, a lot of input into this decision. In other words, if she liked the Tosh 56 DLP, that might just be the clincher [​IMG]

14. Armand_Boivin

armand Boivin
    [​IMG] words to live by ;-) My wife will have a huge affect on the decision. Right now we go into best buy and see what they have and I ask her what she thinks look the best. She actually liked the maxent plasma since they didn't have the panasonic plasma there we couldn't look at it. If the hours or what not should not be a concern that I will start looking more at the plasma.. since sometimes the plasma actually looks better than the dlp.

15. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Armand

I have the latest Consumer Reports. Don't tell your wife, but the Maxent was the lowest rated plasma, 5 steps below the Panasonic. If you want plasma the Panasonic is the way to go. Still, for $2K that Toshiba DLP is a much better value than the Panasonic plasma. A comparable plasma, the 58 Panny is $4500.

16. Armand_Boivin

armand Boivin
    awesome info thank you very much.. I think she will be happy ;-)

17. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Armand

Let me know how things work out [​IMG]

Thanks

18. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Although I can't verify this, I can say that most DLP, LCoS and LCD projection sets claim bulb life closer to 6,000 hours. And anyone who spends $300 plus for a replacement bulb is a moron. I recently purchased a replacement bulb for my 56" JVC LCoS (to have on hand so I don't have to wait when the bulb eventually goes) and paid $152 - including shipping. And when I do finally have to put that new blub in my set, the picture will be as crisp and as bright as the day I bought it. Plasma sets gradually darken over time and cannot be restored to their original condition.

So you might pay - what? $350 over the life of a set for a rear projection? $700? (My DLP set is in use about 2000 a year, which means a bulb will last between 1 and 1/2 and 3 years, depending on which numbers you believe. Counting the bulb that's in there now, the numbers above represent what I'd have to pay assuming I keep my $2000 TV for ten years. A 50" Pioneer plasma is about $4,000. They don't make a 56". If you go up to the next size, 60", you're looking at $6,000. You do the math. And don't forget to include the interest on the extra money you're payng up front. Personally, I don't see any "savings" with plasma.)

Regards,

Joe

19. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Chris is still pushing the Panny 600 series. Also, his prices are considerably more (at least for the 50PX60U) than TVA. HTF members have no real incentive to spend more to buy from your company unless you cut your prices by about 10%.

20. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

I've been looking a 42" screens as well.

One that you should certainly take a look at is the Westinghouse 1080p LCD. It is very slick, has a faroudja chipset and significantly less expensive than some of the other screens that have been mentioned so far.