Help pick my ringtone

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Eric_L, Jul 1, 2006.

1. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

I bot a new RAZR a few months back. I personally HATE each and every ringtone on it. I also have not found a downloadable (haven't looked much) that I like either.
    See - I really dislike the immature and juvinile pop-music ringtones. I am a professional who serves afluent and mostly senior clients. Having my phone bust out in some hip-hop trash will not go over well. Even if it did - I find those phones which do obnoxious. It isn't the music so much as the tinny and noisy renditions or overly-complex and intrusive tones.
    Not to say that I'm no fun - I just like the unusual. I loved my old Erikson ringtone - it was an audio recording of an old fashioned phone ring. People got a kick out of such an 'unusual' ringtone - a phone ringing! I liked it because it was brief - unintrusive and not immature.
    I feel that a simple MIDI tune would be OK. I've used some christmas ringtones in the past which were simple uncluttered MIDIs and that was fun. I've even thought that the hook from J. Geil 'Centerfold' would be fun - if it weren't for the subject matter... I pondered Star Trek sounds, Doorbells, I've even considered a duck quack or chicken cluck... Yes - I'm desperate!
    So I thought I'd ask the brilliantly creative minds from HTF for some suggestions. Something fun but not busy. Something a bit unusual. Something which won't get old too fast... Please share your thoughts or reinforce an idea which might already have been shared. (Or use an idea for yourself!)

Thanks!

2. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

i have t-mobile and i downloaded a ringtone that is a busy signal. most people find it amusing that my phone rings a busy tone. check your providers website to see what other sound effects they may have outside of the usually 50 cent / teeny bopper shit.

kevin t

3. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt
    I found somewhere to download the ringtone from the Cisco phones on "24". Love it. It's short, quick, takes very little space. The right people "get" where it is from, but to everyone else it's not so over-the-top annoying that they are distracted by it.

4. andrew markworthy

I have a Razr as well and couldn't agree more about the choice of ringtones. I recorded a piece of Philip Nyman piano music called (I think) 'Rotting Swan' from Peter Greenaway's A Zed And Two Noughts (pretentious, moi?). It is just a series of slow tempo pizzicato piano chords. Practically nobody knows what it is, but it has the advantage of being unmissable and yet not very startling.

I also for fun recorded the Who's Baba O'Riley opening synth run and (really obscure) the opening synth run from the Yellow Magic Orchstra's 'Behind the Mask'.

5. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

I really can't advise u on what to have as a ringtone but when my wife and kid got their Razrs, I got the software for the phones and have been making ringtones for their phones. I use Audacity, a shareware audio editor, to cut, edit and export to mp3 which I upload to their phones. My 11 year old son who likes video games likes every other kid, has the theme from Kingdom Hearts II as his ringtone. My wife usually has a neat piece of a famous song as her ringtone. Me, as an avid HALO player, has the HALO theme on my phone.

6. Alf S

Alf S Banned
    BANNED

Alfer
    Feel free to use my ringtone creation....Brian from Family Guy singin the "Peanut Butter Jelly!" tune...I'm sure it would go over quite will with your clientel. [​IMG]

http://home.valornet.com/alfer/PBJ.mp3

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison Screenwriter

Randy

Reminds me of when I was in Russia. In the region I was in, the phone ringing sound that you heard through the headset when you dialed a number was an American busy signal. It screwed with me for an hour before I figured it out.

Also, back with the real sound ringtones first came out, I had stopped to use a bathroom in a county office building. I was sitting there, contemplating the mysteries of the universe, when someone walked up to the urinal next to my stall. I heard him unzip his fly, and at that precise minute, his phone rang. His ringtone was the beginning riffs of "Eye of the Tiger" (kinda got to picture it in your mind) I started laughing, thinking that his little guy had it's own themesong.

To find some free ringtones, point your phone's webbrowser to 3gforfree.com. They have a bunch (including your old fashioned phone ring) and they are free to download. If you browse through your computer, just click "browsing from phone" and you can look around also.

8. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I have Bill Lumberg saying:

[phone ring] "Yeah, hi. It's Bill Lumberg. It's about 10 o'clock. Yeah. Just.. ahhh.. wondering where you are." [phone ring]

9. Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen Screenwriter

I have been aching to have the "old phone ring" sound as my idiotic cell phone ring; I hate like heck the stupid ring tones they give you. So, I went to 3gforfree.com, as recommended by Randy.

But here's the thing... I have a Verizon LG something or other (the lowest end phone, the simplest one, with no camera, etc.), and I can't figure out how to download or send myself this ring to use... Texting is blocked on my phone, and I have no "Go Get It" feature that I see on other phones. (Why did I get this phone? Because I needed small and simple, not chunky and complex.)

Any advice for getting this ring tone for this phone? Or, can I just walk into the Verizon store and say, "You, Verizon Guy, please load that ringer onto my phone," and they will do it for me?

I know I just added to the issue here, but I had questions. Thanks!

MC

10. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

François Caron
  11. Alex-C

Alex-C Screenwriter

dave...can you post or email me that Lumberg ring tone...I gotta have it.

12. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

I have two that I go back and forth between. The first is the battle victory music from the final fantasy series of video games. It's a fun ringtone. The second is a bit more subtle. It starts as an "old fashined" telephone bell, but quickly reveals itself to be the telephone aliens from Sessame Street. It's great fun [​IMG]

13. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    I have a Nokia 6111, and like you lot hate all those strange tunes they seem to pre-program most phones with. Fortunately, my phone has the sound of an old-fashioned phone ringing, which is of course what I use. However, a friend/colleague went and got the exact same phone I have, and uses the same ring (for the same reason), so if we're sitting at lunch together and a phone goes off, we both scramble to figure out which one it is.

Goes to show, us old-fashioned types take the view that a phone should RING, not chirp, play a strange tune or whatever. The strangest "ring tone" I've ever heard has a female voice literally saying/half-singing "ring ring, ring ring". I think it's on the Razr as well. First time I heard it was while in a washroom (someone else's phone went off, obviously), and it kinda creeped me out...

14. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

15. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

Hmmm, so far nothing really rings my bell. I've been considering either a duck quack or the tones from Close Encounters...

16. Alex-C

Alex-C Screenwriter

Thank you Dave. You made, my...uhmm...yeaaahh....day.

17. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    When I first read this thread (just before I posted) I had no idea what Dave's post was about. Then I just happened to watch Office Space last night (for the first time). Now I geddit [​IMG]

As an aside, a friend who works as a prosecutor has the Law & Order theme as his ring-tone...

Me, I want Sid's theme.