Help pick a new tv under $2500 for gaming and movies (long post)

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Jonathan Carter, May 30, 2005.

1. Jonathan Carter

Jonathan Carter Supporting Actor

I'm in the market for a new tv to finally replace my 27" Panasonic CRT and have searched through the forums and still don't know what to get other than the fact that I don't want a projector.

I was going to get a 34" HD widescreen Panasonic at first but went to BB today to look at that and a Sony in the same size but they just seem to small. I then looked at CRT RP but the seem dim and I do a ton of gaming so I don't want to have to constantly worrk about burn-in. The other problem with a CRT RP is that I live in downtown Chicago and my apt. is a highrise that faces over the lake due east so the sun would be a killer anytime during the day because I have big windows running the entire length of the wall.

So, now I'm looking at plasma, DLP, and LCD. A friend of mine has a Samsung DLP he bought last year but I can't stand watching stuff on it. The colors are excellent, but the definition seems poor. I see what I would describe as smearing and artifacting when we watch movies on it or do any gaming. Is this a problem with all DLP screens or just Samsung?

Anyway, I'm looking for some advice as far as what to look for. I'm about 10 feet from the tv, have about $2500 to spend, and would prefer to be able to get it from Best Buy or Circuit City, or any other local B&M store. As I said earlier, I do heavy gaming so I need something where burn in isn't an issue. My girlfriend watches a fair amount of tv also so something that SD doesn't look horrible on will be a plus and of course, great PQ for DVD is a must so I'm looking for HD and widescreen.

Any ideas?

2. Dan Keliikoa

Dan Keliikoa Stunt Coordinator

Hi Jonathan!

I'm really enjoying my new JVC 52" D-ila set...here is my thread on it: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=233895

I do mostly gaming and dvd watching, with some SD tv. Works great for me :^) And it's available at Best Buy...go have a look and see what you think. Also have a look at the Sony and Panasonic LCD RPTVs while you are there.

Good luck [​IMG]

3. tonyKwok

tonyKwok Stunt Coordinator

jonathan

I recently bought a HDTV back in february for the same reason as yours. I got the Sony 50" LCD rear projection w/ built-in HD tuner. I was deciding between this and the mitsubishi DLP 52". I didn't like the mitsubishi DLP because of the rainbow effect I noticed and the high glare of the screen. The sony had an anti-glare screen so the viewing angle is much wider than the other TV. The black level on the Sony isn't as good as the mitsubishi though.

I'm not sure if you already have an A/V receiver to hook up all your components at home. I run my xbox (HD pack), PS2 (component cable), and DVD player through my receiver and output the video to the TV. I couldn't be more happy with TV.

For your budget, you can go for the 42" Sony instead. You can find one for under $2000 easily on pricegrabber. But if you prefer a B&M store, it'll run you about $2300. I got mines for $2699 at Good Guys during their superbowl weekend promotion.

tony

4. Jonathan Carter

Thanks for the info guys. Next question, the rainbow effect and the game sync problems on DLP, are these eliminated from the new hardware or are they still around?

And as far as LCD goes, are black levels and the screen-door effect eliminated from the new stuff also or are they still around also?

This is really frustrating because each tech has what I consider to be pretty big drawbacks. I hate the fact that I'm going to drop around $2500 and still have to compromise on some aspects regardless of what I choose.

5. tonyKwok

tonyKwok Stunt Coordinator

i haven't noticed any screen door effect on my Sony

6. Jonathan Carter

Hmm, well that will be something to consider then. The Sony LCD was what I was looking at initially anyway so I'll go take another look at that this weekend. Thanks.

7. Jonathan Carter

Well, I ended up getting a Samsung HLP4663W DLP set this weekend. Like it so far and I think it looks great out of the box but will start tweaking it this week. I'm going to be pretty critical about it's picture after that though since it was a $1900 purchase which is huge for me. If it ends up not looking a good as I think $1900 should look, then I guess it's off to an LCD RP.

8. Dan Keliikoa

Dan Keliikoa Stunt Coordinator

Great. Jonathan! Have fun with your new toy [​IMG]

Be sure to update us with your impressions after you do some adjustments and live with it a few days.