Help-- Philips Code Free Progressive Scan DVD Player 726?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jim Blackie, Sep 4, 2003.

1. Jim Blackie

Jim Blackie Stunt Coordinator

Help! My Tosh 3900 choked and I may need a backup for my Region Free player.

Does the Philips 726 DVD player work region free out of the box?

Is this the least expensive but decent non-hack player out there? What should I consider besides the Malata?

Other suggestions? Thanks in advance.

2. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

3. Jim Blackie

No, Peter, it did not out-right "die," but I found it would not play two different R2 PAL discs (of course they were the titles I bought the machine for), and gave me no end of trouble trying different hack key-presses to finally get the R2 Starman disc to work.

Since I have 2 TVs, I figured, why not get a "real" multi-region machine?

4. nagesh

nagesh Extra

Hi jim,
    i bought this philips dvd player nearly 6 months ago from sam stores and it worked just fine for me. although I didnt tested the player to its full strength, but still I am pretty much satisfied with its performance. You may find the buttons [​IMG] on the player pretty soft, but otherwise its just fine.

5. EmmanuelM

EmmanuelM Auditioning

The 726 needs a remote hack to be applied in order to make it region-free (or set it to any region you want). I've read that the hack for the 727 works for the 726.

I was considering the Tosh 3900 but from the threads at DVDTalk it appears that you have to fiddle with it with some discs just to make it play. I wanted a player that I set a hack once and forget about it, pop a DVD, and enjoy the movie. My 727 has perfectly answered that need. PQ is flawless.

6. Jim Blackie

7. EmmanuelM

EmmanuelM Auditioning

Jim...I got mine from Amazon for $90, shipped. They have it on sale today for $84.99 (lucky you!). Look for Philips DVD727. Yes, it's hard to find...I believe the 727 is a newer model than the 726.

It does PAL to NTSC OOB. Set your output to NTSC and it will play an NTSC or PAL dvd. R1 titles played fine, R0's (Hero, Shaolin Soccer) spinned flawlessly, and R2's (Bend It Like Beckham, 28 Days Later, Crying Freeman--French Special Ed., Johnny English, Cross of Iron) hummed happily in anamorphic glory.

Call me a user hooked to this versatile player.

8. Jim Blackie

9. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

The Philips 727 sounds like a solid player:

Plays DVD-Video, video CD, audio CD, JPEG image CD
    Compatible with CD-Rs and CD-RWs loaded with MP3 files
    Offers progressive-scan output with 3:2 pulldown for distortion-free viewing of 24 fps movies
    Optical and coaxial digital-audio outputs pass Dolby Digital and DTS surround signals
    PAL-to-NTSC format conversion--great for viewing non-region-encoded European discs

To make it multi-region:

10. EmmanuelM

EmmanuelM Auditioning

A word of caution: Those sites that says the 727 needs to be modified is just pulling your leg and money. Trust me on this one, at least.

I was apprehensive at first about its conversion capability. I asked in a thread at DVDTalk if anyone can verify this. Nobody answered my post (since I presume people there are so enamored about the Tosh 3900 that they overlook the capability of the Philips) so as a leap of faith I ordered one from Amazon. The worst that could happen was I'd have another region one player if the hack don't work and if it won't convert. Well, faith works wonders.

I powered it on, pushed open/close button, entered the numbers above (0 will make it region-free, 2 will make it an R2 player, and on...), pushed the open/close button, then powered off. Voila!

As you know, Philips is a European company. I suppose it's cost-efficient for them to make just one model of a player and have it output either PAL or NTSC and ship it worldwide and let the user choose the output. The 727 can output PAL or NTSC; the conversion is an undocumented feature.

Enjoy your R2's, R3's and R4's!

11. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

Again, thanks to Emmanuel for the stamp of approval on the 727. While I liked the 3900, and I didn't have any discs that didn't play, I like the idea of not having to enter a hack each time I play a non-R1 disc.

Looks like the 3900 is going back to Target in exchange for the 727.

12. EmmanuelM

EmmanuelM Auditioning

Glad to be of help, Peter. This player was also mentioned in the AVS forums as another option if you need a region-free player.

Best regards!

13. Jim Blackie

Thanks to this thread and EmmanuelM for answering my questions, Amazon will be receiving my return of the Toshiba and an order of the Philips. I'll update with my results!

(crosses fingers)

Jim

14. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

Just picked up the Philips 727 at Target for $80 (wife's employee discount) this past weekend. Am very happy with it overall with a few minor nitpicks - don't care for the red light on the front panel that constantly glows. Also, something really bizarre - there are no remote codes to control the Philips for my Sony remote on my 24" Vega (bizarre considering that Sony & Philips codeveloped the dvd).

Outside of those minor issues, the PQ is outstanding (seems on par with the SD3900). And while I never had issue with inputting the remote hack each time I played a non-R1 disc, it is very nice not to have to do this anymore with the Philips. Each of my non-R1 discs (all European R2 + PAL) play like their native. While all played on my SD3900, not only did I have to enter in the remote hack, I usually had to go through a myriad of hacks to get a couple of problem discs to play.

A big plus the Philips has over the SD3900 is that the 727 shows time remaining for films. All you need to do is hit 'Display', scroll down until you find 'Time Disp.' and change the setting to 'Title Remain'. It will now show the time remaining from then on.

So I'm very happy to have switched to the 727, even though I thought I preferred the quality of the Toshiba. But when I was at Target, I was given pause when I saw that Toshiba now released the SD-3950. Plus, the SD3950 lists for $79.99. So anyone who wants to take a risk (virtually none) can try to see if the 3950 corrects some of the 3900 problems.

15. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

You don't need to do the region hack for every disc. Just set it to region 0 one time and you're good. Except for R1 RCE discs.

16. Andy_G

Andy_G Stunt Coordinator

Has anyone tested it with and RCE disc in region 0 mode. I don't own such a disc, otherwise I would.

17. Jim Blackie

18. Ellen

Ellen Stunt Coordinator

Ellen
    I'd like to get into non-R1 DVDs and I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a 727. At only $80, it seems like a great deal.

How does the player handle problem DVDs? My old Toshiba has trouble playing some of the Bollywood DVDs that I buy and rent.

19. Ellen

Ellen Stunt Coordinator

Ellen
    I read a report at another forum indicating that the 727 and other Philips DVD players have a bug in that the multi-angle icon shows on all multi-angle DVDs and the display of the icon cannot be turned off. Have any of you found this to be the case?

20. Jim Blackie

I've read those reports and they seem real. I have no multi-angle discs, apparently, and have not seen the icon myself. Is this a very big issue? Well, not to me. If I had many many discs that used multi angle, I'd be miffed, I think. Although, for $80, I probably be placated by not having invested heavily in the machine. I love mine, and am very glad someone noted the region-free hacks!