Help !! -- Parasound Amp & Preamp gone bad !

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ShalM, Jun 29, 2002.

1. ShalM

ShalM Extra

Hi,

I have been enjoying my setup for the last 4-5 years including Parasound Preamp PSP-1500 mated to a Parasound HCA 1206 (6 channel amp).

Recently some kids visiting us were watching a movie by themselves and dont know what happened really happened but the next time I switched it on to watch something I am getting a signal overload indicator for all the inputs( video & audio) on the preamp. Also 2 of my channels on the amp are showing the Red overload led constantly.

I dont have any way to get what exactly happened when the kids were watching the movie except they were playing it loud at -4 dB, which ideally shouldnt be a problem.

I have isolated the preamp and amplifier completely and just plugged them by themselves thinking maybe a source was overloading them, but the preamp still shows overload led runing bright. Same thing with the amplifier also. I really have no way to test the other channels of the amplifier as that was the only preamp I have.

Could any of the learned members of the forum here familiar with this equipment help me as to what my options would be. The nearest parasound repair center is about 3 hours drive for me and mailing the amplifier to them is gonna cost a lot and hassle. It is out of warranty as the earlier parasounds (before 1998) were warrantied for 2 years only.

Will appreciate any help and guidance.

Thanks.

2. Orin Dym

Orin Dym Stunt Coordinator

Is there a way to restore factory default settings on the preamp (should be in the manual)? I could not tell from your post--If you plug in the amp separated from everything (no rca jacks, no speakers connected) do you get the overload light? Is it on all channels are only one?

3. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

Does the 1206 amp, like the 1205, have output level rotary controls for each amp channel?

If so, try turning down the levels on the offending amp channels to see if the red overload LED goes off.

Try a 2-channel source, like FM radio, fed into the preamp with the volume low and compare different amp channels driving the main speakers to see if this affects the red overload LED for each amp channel.

4. ShalM

ShalM Extra

Hi,

Thanks for responding to my post.

Orin,
    I did separate the amp also completely with no rca jacks or speaker wires connected and just the amp with its power cord. Still 2 of the 6 channels overload light stays on.

To reset the preamp, really I power cycled it leaving it off power disconnected from mains for a day and then powered it back on and still its showing overload at all audio and video inputs.

Bruce,

Yes the 1206 does have rotary knob for each channel at the back and I did lower it to see, but to no effect. I dont have another preamp to feed the amp.

Can I directly take a CD player or tuners output and feed it into the amplifier or that is not recommended ? .

I did speak to the parasound repair center and the guy said that it is a common problem for the preamp to show this overload indicator and has something to do with the power supply which will cost me probably about $100 in labor and parts (again he was guessing the flaw over the phone and so this is not certain). He also mentioned that usually for the 2 channels repair cost would come out to be about $200 or so.
    I am just wondering if I have any other options in terms of getting someone else to look into the two things or is it best to go with parasound repair center itself which is about 3 hours away and also mailing would cost a lot for the amp.

Would appreciate inputs and suggections about the same.

Thanks again for reading this long post.