HELP! paradigm2200 and svs 2039cs in same room can it be done?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scot Pritchard, Aug 21, 2002.

1. Scot Pritchard

Scot Pritchard Stunt Coordinator

could anybody help with the set up of these two subs in the same room? would in be a waste of time to have both.how do i match the levels correctly? could someone give me some input on the subject. i know theirs alot of subwoofer gurus out their.

2. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

I'm sure your SVS manual explains how to setup two CS series subs. Follow those instructions.

As for placement, I'd stick the rubber feet on the SVS base and put it right on top of the PW2200.

3. Scot Pritchard

Thanks for the input but the manual explains how to set up 2 svs subs not to diffucult because they use the same amp but how do i achieve a good balance between the svs and paradigm/where would i set the level on the paradigm? putting the svs on top of the paradigm sounds like a good idea but would would it vibrate off

4. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Trevor Schell has had no problems when his 20-39CS subs were on top of his Servo15s.

I suppose that is true, with the SVS you just increase both level controls the same amount, the two identical subs should be outputting the same.

I'm not entirely sure then. There is probably a better way. But I'd stack the SVS on the PW. Then I'd use an SPL meter and a calibration disc on each sub individually. Then I'd run both at the same time. They should be too loud now. Then run each individually again and back them off a couple dB each. Run them together again and see if they sum back to the right level. Repeat until you have the right level with both subs running. But the same level from each sub when they are run individually.

5. Scot Pritchard

Thanks for the help i will try that tommorrow and let you now how it went. with both doing bass the lotr should soun awesome, it already sounds damm good with just the svs.

6. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

With any dual woofs---

1)make sure the phase between them is optimized
    2)calibrate the system with both woofs playing
    3)set up the individual gain controls of each sub so that when either is unplugged(during the calibration tones)---the SPLs drop the same amount(usually around 5dB if the subs are near one another).

Both subs are good units so they should work well together once you have them tweaked fully,

TV

7. Scot Pritchard

Thanks for your reply Tom.would you suggest putting the svs on top of the paradigm? and keep them both in the same corner? i really wanted to add another svs 2039cs but the funds are not there right now.

8. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Placing it op top should work out well acoustically...but keep and eye on it during the first few bassy demos to make sure it isn't walking away...

Keeping dual subs near one another optimizes the acoustical coupling of the units.(the closer they are,the more they'll tend to work as one large unit---which is good). For example...in my 20/14/8 shoebox...placing a second unit near the first leads to a 5.5dB increase in headroom. But placing one unit in each adjacent corner(corners that share one common boundary) results in a 3-3.5dB increase.

TV

9. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

If you positon the 2 subs correctly in relation to the room, listener position, and loudspeakers you can help eliminate many of the modes that cause bass spikes and dips.
    The correct positioning can do wonderous things. Finding the right gain on your amp is insignificant next to the power of the room. [​IMG]
    The easy way out would be to stack them and put them in the corner. I believe this will energize all the width room nodes though. If you separate them on the front wall and move them forward just enough, you can help eliminate those modes. There are programs that can help calculate this I think, or you can do it through rigorous testing. (I havn't exactly done this because I lack the funds for my second tempest).
    As for setting gain, try A/B switching between the subs and calibrate them so they play at the same level and set the crossovers the same. Whenever you adjust one sub, you should compare them and make sure they play the same test tone at the same volume by switching between them. (Turning one off and the other on)