HELP! Paradigm Studio ADP blown?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul Gere, Mar 5, 2003.

1. Paul Gere

Paul Gere Second Unit

Help!!

Last night, one of my Paradigm Studio ADP's seemed to malfunction. The speaker only passes signal through the tweeters, but not through the drivers. I've tested every variable I can think of (different amp channels, connects, etc.), and it appears that the speaker crossover has gone bad. I'm guessing that something's gone wrong with the crossover inside the speaker because when I touch the speaker cable directly to the main driver(s) connections (inside the cabinet), I get signal from them. All of the wires and connections inside the speaker cabinet seem to be just fine.

Anybody got any idea what could cause this -or better yet, how to fix it?!

My local Paradigm dealer has a policy of "if you didn't buy it here, we won't touch/service it". I bought these speakers used from a private party. How can I get my ADP repaired? I've contacted Paradigm for help, but haven't yet heard back.

Thanks in advance for any tips/suggestions.

-Paul

2. BobRoulier

BobRoulier Second Unit

paul, check to see if the jumpers are lined up on the back of the speaker connections, I had my studio 100s biwired and recently I hooked up some basic speaker cable and I forgot to hook up the jumpers so I was only getting response from the tweeters.

Bob

3. Paul Gere

Paul Gere Second Unit

Bob,
    Thanks for the suggestion, but the ADP's have no jumpers and are not bi-wireable. At the suggestion of a poster on AVS Forum, I finally took extreme measures tonight and opened the entire cabinet to take out the crossover. I checked all of the solder joints on the crossover, heating and re-soldering each one. I re-connected the drivers and -voila! Back in business!!!

SO VERY VERY glad to have this fixed!!

Thanks!!

4. BobRoulier

BobRoulier Second Unit

Paul glad to hear that your back in business[​IMG]

Bob