Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jon.Dickinson, Dec 19, 2002.

  1. Jon.Dickinson

    Jon.Dickinson Auditioning

    Dec 19, 2002
    Likes Received:
    Please Help!! I have a Panny PT-47wx42 and just received DIG cable with HD feed yesterday (Time Warner SCIENTIFIC ATLANTA EXPLORER 3100HD). I have surveyed all the HD Forums I could find and have not found a decent answer yet.
    I have a component connection from the SAE 3100HD to “component 1” and a coax to the tuner (side note: I have read some threads regarding losing PIP with DIG cable. Running coax to the tuner will solve this problem). So far I have 2 feeds going into the TV (component and coax). When I view the DIG cable through the tuner (coax) I can change the aspect ratio and view all the DIG cable channels EXCEPT the HD channels. So I switch to “component 1” and the HD channels look great, but the rest of the channels are in 4:3 and the aspect ratio function is locked out. I would like to view the non-HD channels through the component for a better picture and avoid the lack luster coax feed. I have read some solutions that suggested running s-video from the SAE 3100HD to the TV. Do they mean s-video to “video 1”???
    My other concern deals with the VCR. What’s the cable schematic to record on the VCR and watch another channel at the same time? I’ve always had my cable run straight to the VCR, then to my TV (no cable box). I need to learn how to deal with a cable box since I have no choice with DIG cable.

    Sorry for the ramblings. I hope someone can fill in the blanks for me and for other frustrated HD users out there
  2. TimTurtino

    TimTurtino Stunt Coordinator

    Dec 17, 2002
    Likes Received:
    Yes, the S-vid would run from the cable box to an S-video input on your TV.

    Your TV does not allow you to change aspect ratios in a hi-definition signal and your cable box always outputs hi-def on the component outputs. This will always be a fact of life.

    Route the cable to a splitter, into the VCR, cable box, and TV (I think that TV might actually have a built-in splitter, in which case you won't need a three-way splitter at first). If the HD cable box has two sets of outputs, connect one (the RCAs) to the VCR (for recording digital channels) and the other (the S-video/audio) to the TV (for viewing non-HD stuff). Last, connect the HD outputs to the TV.

    Hope this helps,


Share This Page