Help? Panasonic PT-53WX42 vs Toshiba 57H82

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by EdAngell, Mar 4, 2003.

1. EdAngell

EdAngell Stunt Coordinator

I am going to be upgrading my set this week. I currently have the Toshiba 53H71 and want to go widescreen.

I was pretty set on the Toshiba 57H82 due to stretch modes (and my previous Tosh experience) but I hear a lot about the Panasonic PT-53WX42.

The thing that is making the decision hard is that I could get the Panny for $1599 (possibly less if BB will price match CC and take my 10% off coupon) vs $1979 for the Toshiba delivered (just missed the deal at OneCall for $1869).

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

2. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    You should see if you can live w/ the Panny's stretch modes--really just one non-linear mode (Just)--before going w/ it. Also, if the quality of regular TV programming is important, you should check and compare also. The Tosh probably has a better linedoubler for that.

Probably the only thing (slightly) better about the Panny is the display of the very best DVDs since the Tosh's 540p upconversion loses a little resolution--and might add slight artifacts. You may never notice this difference though as most Tosh owners do not. In fact, your 53H71 probably has worse upconversion than the 57H82, and you probably haven't noticed any PQ loss. There's really nothing else better about the Panny, except it might be a little more tweaker-friendly, but I could be wrong on that.

So I'd say if you're buying this TV primarily for DVD viewing, then go ahead w/ the Panny and save some $$$. But if you're gonna replace the old Tosh w/ this TV and need a good stretch mode and linedoubling, you might be better off w/ the Tosh. But in the end, you really should go see and compare for yourself before making any final decision.

FWIW, I have the Panny 53" myself, but $$$ was an important factor for me and regular TV viewing is not. HD content should look great on either set. [​IMG]

_Man_

3. EdAngell

EdAngell Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the reply. I just noticed today that OneCall has the Panasonic for $1529 shipped which is even a better deal than what I was going to get locally.

Any other opinions out there? Is the Toshiba worth the $450 price difference? How do they compare when calibrated? Which is better for calibrating?

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

I would caution against buying RPTVs online because returning it would be a major hassle (if even possible).

Just recently, I know of someone who bought a RPTV from Onecall, and within the initial month of ownership, problems developed with the new RPTV, and that person had to deal with the manufacturer to get the issue resolved. Onecall was not helpful in this situation. Had the RPTV been bought locally, a simple phone to the local store would have resolved the issue much quicker (return the RPTV and have the store send out another one). Just something to consider when buying RPTVs locally or remotely.

5. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

The Panasonic looks better after calibration ... especially in the 480p section.

HD portion is roughly the same for both sets. The Panny requires that the pro calibrator also have HD equipment to do the set up correctly.

Regards