What's new

Help!! Panasonic GT50 or VT50 65"? (1 Viewer)

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
Hello All, I am going to purchase a new TV, since the prices are dropping. Amazon no longer has the VT50 65 " (apparently) so it looks like stock is disappearing. Therefore, I'm going pull the trigger today or tomorrow at Best Buy. I understand the tech differences between the two but once calibrated, is the picture difference between the two negligible or is there really a difference. Naturally, I would like to save the 500 dollar difference but if there is a sigificant picture difference, I could spring for the VT 50. I am asking those that are knowledgable to please reply. Thanks for your help.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I bought the VT and have no regrets. The THX mode rocks. It's a personal decision, you have to decide if the bezel and the THX mean that much to you. I never use the second remote and other niceties it came with. You know that the 2013s were introduced at CES last week, including the VT60 right?

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings Calibration cannot overcome engineering differences. Both displays are THX certified, but the VT has slight better black levels than the GT. In a home without the two TVs side by side to compare ... doubtful that one could notice. Regards

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
I know the new 2013 models were introduced, hence the desire for the 2012 as their prices are dropping. The problem is so is the stock, so I want to get one before I am forced to buy 2013 model at a premium price. With OLED coming out in the next few years I don't want to invest heavy. However, the 2012 are still not cheap so I want to buy the best for the money between the two. Thank you for replying.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
Ok... trigger pulled... I went with the VT50. Thanks Hopefully this TV will have no problems in the next several years. I have had very bad luck with Sony's for the past decade and the extended warranty saved me there. But I did not get an extended warranty for this TV. I have 30 days to decide. What do you all think? Should I get one for this TV or has its record been one of few problems?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
As long as it doesn't come smashed to s$2% like my first one did, you should be good to go. Amazon was GREAT to deal with for the second one, I cannot recommend buying from Panasonic Direct tho!

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
I read your ordeal in the other thread so I'm glad things worked out for you. I ask because the past decade I've had a Sony XBR400 go bad with the digital board after two years. I had an extended warranty so it was covered. However, they could not fix it properly so they had to give me a new TV... XBR800. While that TV worked well, it did have an half inch blue discoloration in the lower left corner of the screen. After, I got a Sony SXRD XBR2 and after 1.5 years the light engine went bad. With extended warranty it was replaced. The following year the same part went bad... replaced. The next two years after that the same part again went bad. Replaced. Come to the present, the part went bad again. The result of a defective design that was ultimately resolved through a class action lawsuit. I have not replaced it now. So from my experience, extended warranties on TVs are a good thing. But now with a new TV with established technology, I didn't opt for the extended warranty. Which is why I am asking advice. If there is a chance this TV will need to be serviced based on its model history, maybe I should go with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks