Help- Pan. CP-72 burning smell?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by BrianGC, Sep 8, 2004.

1. BrianGC

BrianGC Stunt Coordinator

Hi,
    After an all day viewing marathon where the player was running almost constantly, I noticed a burning smell when I left the room and then came back. I've noticed similar smells before from new electric appliances during their first several uses.

The player appears to be working ok but the smell worries me. It hasn't been used all that much, and run all day like that only 2 or 3 times. I've never notice the smell before, but I didn't notice it this time until I left and came back to the room.

Anyone ever have this type of problem with this player? Should I just keep an eye on it or send it off for repair? Is it even worth trying to get it repaired or will the repair cost nearly as much as a new one?

Thanks,
    BGC

2. matt-f

matt-f Second Unit

Hi BGC:

I would take the cover off and keep an eye on it.

It could be a safety hazard, but I could suspect that it could be comming from the spindle motor since it's spinning.

If it is the spindle motor, you could replace it or have it sent off for repair.

matt

3. BrianGC

Makes you wonder about the futility of checking all the player reviews. When I bought it, it was the "one to have" and now it turns out these things are crapping out left and right. Especially annoying since the entire time I've had it I've probably used it less than most members of this forum use their players in a month.

BGC

4. matt-f

matt-f Second Unit

I guess so. Well this is the first post I've seen about a smell in these units.

Have you looked at Sango's posts on AVS - very experienced person who knows how to repair, tweak and calibrate those units.

5. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

You said you don't have many total hours on the player. Did it sit idle for a considerable period of time before this marathon run? Perhaps the burning smell is just some dust or other stuff that got into the player burning off and not a sign of impending failure, especially since it's performing ok.

I once openned the tray on my CP-72 and found a tiny caterpillar on it, of all things, so there's no telling what might have found it's way into the player. Mine is 2+ years old, has had several marathon sessions with no weird smell or any hiccups other than a failure to play a very badly scratched rental copy of Dog Soldiers. I don't know what burning caterpillar smells like, as I captured it and released it back into the wild.

6. BrianGC

Oh, it was used several days before the burning smell was noticed. There aren't many (or any?) vent holes in the thing so I don't see how too much dust could get inside but ya never know. But I really don't think dust was the culprit. I'm going to take the cover off and run it for a while to see if I can duplicate the situation.

BGC

7. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

Brian- If something is going bad, it won't do any good to remove the cover and "watch it". Continue to use the player as you would normally and keep the faith that what you smell is just the cosmoline that is often coated on certain parts in some equipment. These things are too cheap nowadays to bother with unless you still have a warranty. If it fails, bite the bullet and get another player.

8. matt-f

matt-f Second Unit

I would say it would be hard to replace a player of equivalent performance.

Denon DVD-1910 could be the choice but the Panasonic DVD-S97 comming so we just have to wait until the time comes to see for ourselves.

9. BrianGC

My concern is the thing catching on fire. I'm somewhat afraid to use it, especially anytime close to the time I need to leave the house.

BGC

10. matt-f

matt-f Second Unit

Well you just need to replace the motor if it is indeed the spindle.

According to Sango, the newer motors have been improved so it should perform and last long.

It's worth to spend the extra money to maintain the unit. Also the Denon 1600 also has same issue since it's using the Panasonic optical and spindle motor as well.

11. BrianGC

With my TV set, I don't think it is. The part is around $60 and who knows how much the labor would be. I saw in a thread somewhere that Panasonic didn't even want to repair these and were trying to replace them with something else which there is no equivalent with the same chipset for now.

Then again, what if my current problem isn't the spindle motor at all. I pay $100+ for a repair and still have a spindle motor ticking timebomb.

I wonder about repairing these anyway, I had a vcr that went to the shop 3 or 4 times for the same thing and never worked properly after the 'repair'. I assume the guts of a dvd player are as complicated as the guts of a vcr, but maybe not.

BGC

12. matt-f

matt-f Second Unit

The labor can go high but if you can repair yourself then you can save on the cost by just purchasing the particular part only. You just need the SVC Manual for the unit so you have the references to refer to when repairing on your own for the first time.

The thread you were talking about Panny not replacing, I think they were trying to offer like the F series players to customers which they didn't like.

13. BrianGC

I seriously doubt that self repair is an option for most people, certainly not for me.

BGC

14. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Anyone else have this lyric running through their head after reading the thread title:

"Ooou Ooou that smell, that smell that surrounds you"