Help, Opinions on projector screen

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by AnilJ, Nov 26, 2003.

1. AnilJ

AnilJ Auditioning

Hello,

I posted this on avsforum but didn't get any answers. I'm trying to come up with a screen solution to go with my ae300. The wall onto which I'm projecting has to do double duty as a home theater wall, and as a living room wall (maybe framed with prints). I've thought of several solutions and maybe someone might have some comment or a better suggestion.

1. I can hang the prints on the wall, and remove them whenever I want to use the projector.
    2. I can hang a pull down screen.
    3. I can hang a proper permanent screen, and hang the prints in front whenever I'm not using the projector.

I'd like to go with (2) but I'm not sure if the surface will truly be flat. With (1) and (3) I can see the prints causing dark and light spots whenever removed, which would interfere with the picture. With (2) and (3) I can get a high gain screen. (2) would be convenient.

Any suggestions, opinions?

Thanks

2. Torgny Nilsson

Torgny Nilsson Second Unit

I am facing the same problem. I have decided that a pull down screen is the way to go, mostly because I don't like the idea of having a big white or grey screen on the wall at all times. Some of the flush mount screens look pretty good though they cost more than the regular mounts.

If you are worried about flatness, get a tensioned screen, though they cost even more.

3. AnilJ

AnilJ Auditioning

Torgny,

Thanks for your response. I'm thinking of going with a pull down screen but read that the tensioned screen (I'm looking at the Dalite Deluxe Model B) still does not stop wrinkles.

I'm thinking of painting a black border as aesthetically as possible and then centering and hanging the prints in the front. The hanging hardware would be outside the border.

4. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

One brief observation based on your comments. While the idea of putting up and taking down the prints might seem attractive I personally feel that once the novelty of this "convertability" wears off you would quickly tire of this. The prints would probably end up some place else (maybe even in the closet.)

Remember, you are going to be using that screen a lot more often than you might think and the task of moving things around will become something that you will dread.

As far as I'm concerned the only viable choice among the three you listed is option #2. Go for a good pull down screen (I use a motorized Stewart Studiotek 130 in my HT) and leave it at that. The better screens (motorized or not) are tensioned - which is the only way to avoid the wrinkle syndrome. Wrinkles are non-existent with my Studiotek.

A fancier (and probably more costly) solution would be to mount the screen in the ceiling. I opted to surface mount mine since people don't even realize the screen's there until I lower it because of the set up of my room. (Pictures at my HT site.)

Good luck.

5. Matthew Todd

Matthew Todd Second Unit

I would also vote for option 2. As far as wrinkles go, I have heard that of the Da-Lite pull down screens, the High Power is less prone to wrinkles. I actually have a Model B pull down (84" wide 16:9) with Video Spectra fabric (1.5 gain) that has not wrinkled.

Matt

6. AnilJ

AnilJ Auditioning

Robert,

I'm leaning toward #2 as well. The convenience coupled with a good screen would outweigh trying to get a flat screen.

Thanks to you and everyone else for your advice.

7. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    How much money do you have allocated for a screen?

8. AnilJ

AnilJ Auditioning

Neil,

Around 2-3 hundred. I'm leaning towards the 80x45 Deluxe Model B with a video-specra surface.