What's new

[help]Onkyo TX-NR555 vs Sony STR-DH770 (1 Viewer)

Onkyo TX-NR555 vs Sony STR-DH770

• Onkyo TX-NR555

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Sony STR-DH770

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

playunknownbattle

Auditioning
Real Name
Juok Kwon
Hello, I just begin to buy home theater speakers. I bought a pair of polk rti a9 tower speakers(500ww) and am going to buy a center speaker as well.

Anyway, I gotta choose between Onkyo TX-NR555 & Sony STR-DH770. But I really dont know what to choose for receiver. Both receiver are pretty much same price but sony one has better power.

Please can u guys help this noob .. :( Which one should I Pick?

Thanks

Last edited:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Why do you have to choose between just those two models? There are also models available from other quality companies at a similar price, such as Denon and Yamaha.

Ignore the power ratings, as just about any receiver will have more power than you need for your three speakers. I would pick based on the features you require in this case. What components will you be using with the receiver?

playunknownbattle

Auditioning
Real Name
Juok Kwon
Why do you have to choose between just those two models? There are also models available from other quality companies at a similar price, such as Denon and Yamaha.

Ignore the power ratings, as just about any receiver will have more power than you need for your three speakers. I would pick based on the features you require in this case. What components will you be using with the receiver?

Thanks for your help and sorry for late answer. The reason I had to choose between two items is I really don't know a good website that has great deal... so.. I was just looking at bestbuy in Canada... and they do not have many items...

what do you mean by "components" ? sorry this is not my first language.
but I am going to buy all 7.1 or 7.2 channel speakers at the end btw..

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
By components, I was referring to the devices you would be connecting to the receiver -- e.g. Blu-ray player, TV, streaming device, game console, etc. Knowing how many and what types of devices can help with making recommendations.

There are quite a few websites that will offer better prices and selection than Best Buy, but I am not sure which of them do business in Canada. We have quite a few members here from Canada, so hopefully one of them can offer suggestions.

playunknownbattle

Auditioning
Real Name
Juok Kwon
By components, I was referring to the devices you would be connecting to the receiver -- e.g. Blu-ray player, TV, streaming device, game console, etc. Knowing how many and what types of devices can help with making recommendations.

There are quite a few websites that will offer better prices and selection than Best Buy, but I am not sure which of them do business in Canada. We have quite a few members here from Canada, so hopefully one of them can offer suggestions.

Thank you very much for your help. Very appreciated! ILL consider ur tips !

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I started the HT "habit" with a Sony stereo receiver, then eventually upgraded to a Pioneer AVR. My next purchase was a Sony AVR with 7.1 surround, which was ok. Then I bought the ONKYO HT-RC 460, which I adored. The reason for the past tense is that several ONKYO receivers from 2006-2012 have a defective HDMI/Network board, and mine has finally succumbed, so I'm moving up to the TX-NR 555, which has Dolby Atmos, DTS X, and is fully 4K compatible, including upscaling. More importantly, contrary to what the specs tell you on bestbuy.ca, it does have 3D pass-through, meaning I can still enjoy my 100+ 3D Blu-rays. Bonus on the defective receiver: I could have got it repaired, but ONKYO also has a rebate programme, meaning I'll get at least $135 back.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks