HELP: Onkyo TX-DS989/Sony SCD-C222ES SACD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Zapatka, Jun 12, 2002.

1. Patrick Zapatka

Patrick Zapatka Stunt Coordinator

Folks,

I'm hoping someone can solve this problem, or tell me I'm not insane.

I just received an Sony SCD-C222ES SACD player and hooked it up today. Plays beautifully in stereo, however when I utilize the multi-channel out to the Onkyo TX-DS989's multi-channel in, there is no sound.

I HAVE turned on MULTI-CHANNEL in the Onkyo's setup menu.

When I take the right-left inputs from the multi-channel in, and connect them to analog CD input, I get perfect sound.

I thought it might be that I am using only two-channel SACD discs, but the manual states that the multi-channel output will pass the two-channel signal, as well.

Any ideas?

In the meantime, I am going to Best Buy to pick up the multi-channel version of Miles Davis' "Kind of Blue." Cheers,

Patrick

2. Stephen Houdek

Stephen Houdek Second Unit

S
    Patrick,

I have the 797, if you want the multichannel output you need to make sure you select multichannel as well on the front panel "audio select" button......It has to be similar on the 989. It will toggle through several modes and you'll eventually see "multichannel" and hear the sound.

3. Patrick Zapatka

Patrick Zapatka Stunt Coordinator

I started thinking about what you suggested...

While the audio select was not on the front of the unit, I pulled the original remote out of the storage box (as I use the Pronto to control my home theater), and utilizing the audio button on the remote, FOUND MULTI-CHANNEL!

Thanks for the pointer!

4. Stephen Houdek

S
    Yep, you're right. I'll bet its the disc as I can only use Multichannel on my DVD player for true DVD Audio disks. Anything else simply plays over the Digital out.

5. Stephen Houdek

S
    Great, glad to hear it is working for you.