Help on Yammie model numbers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve_Han, Dec 24, 2002.

1. Steve_Han

Steve_Han Extra

I have finally decided to go with Yamaha as a receiver due to my 80%HT 20% music listening. What I need to decide is which models. They seem to have too many lines. The two I have seen the most is RXV and HTR lines. What are the difference? I heard somewhere here that the RXV line if bought over the internet will not be warrantied by Yamaha.

Is that true?

Is the amp section the same or is the amp in RXV better?

I am thinking of the HTR 5560 but also considering the RXV1300? What are other in this price range from Yamaha?

I would like DDEX, 6.1, component switching, 5.1 or 6.1 input.

Two zone would b nice but not necessity.

2. Steve_Han

Steve_Han Extra

As a matter of fact, the more I look at the pictures and specs, it seems that the rxv730 and htr5560 are identical and the htr5590 and rxv1300 are identical

3. Mark C.

Mark C. Supporting Actor

My understanding is that they two lines are practically identical. Yamaha distributes the HTR line to mass market outlets, while the RXV line goes to more specialty-type dealers. The HTR series seems to end up on the internet more. Some here have suggested that manufacturing two separate lines prevents price-matching between retailers.

As far as warranty, I can offer no information other than what may be on Yamaha's site.

4. RobertSchaez

RobertSchaez Stunt Coordinator

As far as I know, the RX-V and HTR are essentially the same. The only difference is dealer marketing ("higher end" shop vs. mass market chains), with different lettering painted on the front. The other difference is that the HTR line doesn't go as high as the RX-V line, I.E. there is no HTF equivalent to the RX-V3XXX series. For the absolute answer, give Yamaha a call.

5. James Gillespie

Or better yet, visit the Yamaha website. Their FAQsays:
    There are many similarities between these two product lines. The RX-V line and the HTR line are produced in the same Yamaha factory using the same high quality parts throughout. The RX-V and equivalent HTR models have the same warranty periods, the same manufacturer's suggested retail price, the same features, and the same remote control units.
    There is a cosmetic difference found on the front panels of these two lines. The RX-V line maintains the traditional white colored lettering normally found on most Yamaha components, while the HTR line provides a slightly different approach. Yamaha has created a new look by using gold colored lettering in selected areas on the HTR receiver series. However, both the RX-V line and the HTR line feature the same high quality metal front panel construction.
    The amplifiers in the HTR and RX-V units are identical but rated differently to comply with the accepted measurement standards of their respective channels of distribution. Both ratings are FTC approved and are designed to handle the dynamics of today's audio and video sources. The RX-V line has the power amplifiers rated from 20-20000 Hz. The HTR line has the power amplifiers rated at 1000 Hz. Both lines can reproduce the full frequency response of 20-20000 Hz.
    The RX-V line is typically sold through Yamaha authorized audio/video specialty retailers, and is not available for mail order sales.
    The HTR line is sold through mass merchants, catalog retailers, and department stores. You may also purchase the HTR line through the mail.
    All transactions must be done through the authorized Yamaha dealer network. Any purchase made from an unauthorized dealer/retailer voids the Yamaha manufacturer's warranty.
    Cheers,
    James

6. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

7. VicQ

VicQ Stunt Coordinator

the htr5560 is the equivalent of the rx-v630, there's no htr for the rx-v730. I personally would buy the rxv series instead, I noticed the volume knob is metal on the rx-v1300, while on the htr5590 is all plastic. also, the htr5590 does not have pre-outs like the rxv1300 does. I do believe the 5560 does have the pre-outs, but the rx-v730 has onscreen menu and a better remote.

-Vic

8. Steve_Han

Steve_Han Extra

you are right! I was all set to get the HTR5590 when I went to the store andfound out that it does not have 5.1 pre-outs!!! Yet the lower 5560 does (and so does the 5590 equivalent RXV1300). That makes no sense. Why does the 5560 have pre-outs and 5590 does not? Pre-outs vs. 2 zones...tough!

May have to go with RVX1300 but hard to find good price without going through internet.