Help on where to put speakers, on walls? in corners of the room off the ceiling? etc.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve Boober, Aug 12, 2002.

1. Steve Boober

Steve Boober Extra

Hey all!

Building a home theater set up in my front room, room dimensions are as follows...

21 feet deep, 18 feet wide, ceiling is 9 feet high

it's a pretty big room, its not enclosed as it has the kitchen connected to it which is open to the front room not only via the door way (which has no door to it) but a window to the side of the door which enables you to fully see inside the kitchen or inside to the front room depending on where you are are standing. Also the floors of the front room are hard wood. When i first moved in and there was nothing in that room, there was substantial echo, since then i have put some rugs and furniture in there so there is no more echo but the sound isnt "dead" like it would be in a typical fully carpeted room. Right now I have a 65 inch Toshiba which is in the center of the wall that is 18 feet wide. The sofa seating area is in the exact center of the room. I thought about putting all surround sound speakers in each of the 4 corners of the room since the way I have everything set up, I would be exactly in the center of where everything is placed. Each speaker would be exactly the same distance apart from where I am sitting and from the TV as well. I'm not too thrilled about using speaker stands for at least the rears due to the fact that I don't want cables going from the TV to the seating area, they can go under the rug but they will still be exposed and I have dogs and I dont want to worry about them getting a hold of them, so thats why I thought installing the speakers in the corners of the room just below the ceiling would be best. If I did this I would assume I would want them placed so that they fire at like a 30-45 degree angle facing down. I also thought that if I had the speakers in the corners like this that it might help lessen any potential echo since there would be more distance from the speaker to the floor. If this might not be the best setup than can someone tell me when it might be a good situation for this type of set up and some recommendations?? Thanks all for your help!

EDIT: I just realized that where I would be sitting, I would be 14 feet from the front wall and about 8 feet from the rear wall, so I would not be sitting exactly centered, I would be sitting in the exact center of the room width wise though....

2. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

Is there an attic space that you can use to run the wires for your surround speakers. How about the area under the floor, is there an unfinished basement or crawl space?

3. Steve Boober

Steve Boober Extra

Hey Frank, thanks alot for your reply, there is an attic and thats what I was thinking might help out more was to just run the speaker wires through the attic like that. Under the floor its not possible to do this though, BTW I like what youve done with your site!

4. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

Mounting the speakers from the ceiling will work just fine, and the distance difference won't be a problem if you calibrate your system properly.