What's new

Help on trying to identify an issue with bass (1 Viewer)

Edward Goode

Auditioning
Real Name
Edward
So, my home theater system has been working great for a while now. Simply 5.1 system - Pioneer receiver, Xbox One for Blu-ray, Boston Acoustic front and rear speakers, Sony center speaker, Sony Subwoofer. But then two nights ago, when watching Logan, I noticed the bass sounded very strange. I chalked it up to maybe being an artistic decision for the movie. But then last night when I put in The Greatest Showman, the bass was still doing the same thing. I didn't do anything new with the system before watching Logan. When we have watched The Greatest Showman before, the sound was not like this. Here's an MP3 of what it sounded like.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wfw21wdptngv8iu/DV-2018-06-04-210015.mp3?dl=0

Any suggestions of what it might be?

Thanks for your help!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Hey, Edward! :welcome:

Welcome to the HTF!

I'm sure some of our guys will be along shortly to help diagnose your issue.

The mp3 clip oughta help a lot. I'd throw in my guess, but there's a lot of people here who know more than I do about that sort of thing that they'll probably zero in on things pretty quickly for you.

If you don't get an answer here in this forum, I'll eventually move the thread over to another forum where there may be more traffic.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It's difficult to tell for certain, but I'd say the driver is fried.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yes. If that's the case, it's probably not worth fixing, but if you are in the US and you're fairly handy, there are options for replacing the driver.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
If it's decided you want to replace the entire sub (we call it upgrade-itis in these parts :D ), the membership here is always more than happy to help y6ou spend your money! And by that, I mean tell you--based on your budget--what the best subwoofer deals are out there!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
There's one thing you can check with the driver. Place your fingers, gently, evenly around the cone, around the dust cap (the reversed part in the middle) and gently move it straight back and forth, so the cone moves like it's playing. You need to be certain you are going straight back. Listen closely as you do that and if you hear any scraping, that indicates the driver is blown.

Edward Goode

Auditioning
Real Name
Edward
Thanks for your thoughts all.

I think I have determined that it is not the subwoofer. I did what John suggested and there was no sound from it - no scraping.

I then totally unhooked the sub (cables out from the back of the receiver) from the system and that same "reverb" sound was still there (but not nearly as pronounced).

I checked the same movie with the blu ray input from the Xbox and then also from our Roku stick. Same thing.

Making me think it is either my speakers (which are very old at this point - probably at least 20 years) or the receiver. When I listened to it with the sub unhooked, it definitely sounded more like it was coming from my B.A. speakers rather than the Sony center speaker

Thoughts?

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
OK, it could be the same problem, but with one or both of the main speakers. I think I hear the sound of a damaged woofer (it doesn't sound like a tweeter or mid) and I just assumed it was the sub. So, do the same thing you did with the sub, but with the woofer(s) on the main speakers.

Edward Goode

Auditioning
Real Name
Edward
So, I unhooked both B.A. speakers and so sound was just coming through the center speaker, the sub, and the surround speakers. And that sound is now gone. Hooked up one of the surround speakers to the front input and did not hear the reverb (of course there isn't a lot of bass that can come out of the cheapo surround speakers I have but still...)

Would be weird that both speakers went bad...

So, if the issue is the front speakers, it is time for new fronts. This is not a high end system by any means, so I don't need uber-expensive fronts, but any suggestions on brands to go with or avoid (that aren't sky high expensive)?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That's some excellent trouble shooting. Everything points to one or both of the front speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks