Help! On the fence about new speakers.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Pedrosa, Feb 14, 2003.

1. Michael Pedrosa

Ok, this is part legitimate question and part rant.
    I recently purchased a SACD player and upgraded my receiver, but I'm still listening to all of it through my 7-year-old $300 pair of JBL speakers. I've been severely tempted by the B&W 602 S3 speakers; however, buying them would really strain my budget and I'm worried that all that money won't give me a clear increase in quality. Sure, they sound great in the showroom and would certainly be better than my current speakers in a side-by-side comparison, but taken by themselves are the B&Ws that spectacular?
    Also to take into consideration is that I will be using the speakers for movies as well as music and that the new speakers will be poorly matched to the rest of the system. I don't think I'll be able to upgrade anything else for a while.
    On the other hand, I don't own a subwoofer. Instead of getting new speakers, I could add a sub to the system and fill in the low end. I wonder if this would be a better option to improve the overall quality of the system. Oh, but I probably won't get much out of the sub because of the hypersensitive neighbors.
    Finally, I could ignore the HT entirely and go for the Sony Clie NX70V that I've had my eye on for a while.
    The point is, not much money but itching to upgrade. I'm not looking for suggestions on other brands of speakers; I'm just thinking about which way to go on this. Any thoughts? Any sympathy?

2. Kyle P

Kyle P Extra

If you have been the happy owner of JBL speakers for 7 years why not look at the new studio series JBLs. Inexpensive (online) and sound great to me at least.

3. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

Most B&W dealers will let you home audition! LET YOUR EARS DECIDE[​IMG]

4. Bob Drugan

Bob Drugan Agent

I have the Aperion Audio 6.1 speaker system with the 12" 250 watt sub and couldn't be happier. The great thing about these speakers is they sound so natural and the bass is awesome. The speakers are very easy to listen to and for the $ I couldn't find anything that compared. Aperion has a 30 day return policy but after hearing these in my home they not going back. The people at Aperion were great to deal with too - I did tons of research and they answered all my questions and couldn't have been nicer. Oh yeah they even send you an owners kit plus my wife really liked the bags the speakers are wrapped in - very classy. Check them out at www.aperionaudio.com. Bob

5. Alan M

Alan M Second Unit

For a great sounding 5.1 system at an astonishing price,check out the sx-htb system by fluance.
    www.fluance.com

6. JohnBrianW.

JohnBrianW. Stunt Coordinator

For incredible audiophile sound (which would be great with a sacd player) is the dreamcatcher 5.1 system by TOTEM

7. Tommy_N

Tommy_N Stunt Coordinator