What's new

Help on sub problems (1 Viewer)

CalvinC

Stunt Coordinator
I have a PSB Subsonic 5 sub that I have owned for about 4 years. It was working fine last Thursday, I was out of town until this past Monday. When I sat down to watch a movie there is serious distortion and it is not as loud. I looked at the cone and see no visable problems such as a tear or something. I also connected it to my other receiver and it still is distorted. Any suggestions on what the problem could be? Also how long should a sub last? If it hadn't been used in those three days, how can it have problems?
I would like to use this as an excuse to buy a SVS PB10-ISD but money is tight, (single father of two). Is the SVS really that much better than the others. I have looked at tweeter and they have a Velodyne DLS3750 for $250. Again will the SVS be that much better? Especially for music?

Thanks for your input and help!

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Try pushing the cone in a little (make sure you apply even pressure, so push it at four symmetrical points). Does it make a rubbing or scratchy sound? If so, the driver is bad.

If that’s not it, it’s probably the amplifier section or related electronics. What you could do to test the electronics is remove the driver (typically 6-8 screws, make sure you note which color wire is on the positive and negative leads) and connect the wires to another speaker. If you get the same distortion, then it’s definitely the electronics. There’s really not much to these things – it has to be one or the other (driver or amp).

There’s really no reason to rush out and buy a new sub. Once you figure out what the problem is, give PSB a call. They can probably sell you the replacement parts you need for a fraction of the price of buying a new sub.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks