What's new

Help on speakers and setup for family room. (1 Viewer)

charles j

Auditioning
Any help is appreciated, I have a 20x25ft room with a cathedral ceiling that has a 13ft peak, 9ft walls.
I have an Epson projector 2150 and a Pioneer VSX-932, I have a athena micra 6 speaker system that I would like to update, does anyone have any idea's of speakers that would work with these ceilings that would sound good, I never really liked the sound of the speaker system I have now?
We sit about 11-12ft back from the front speakers and screen.

Attachments

• 20210127_180738[1].jpg
    20210127_180738[1].jpg
    2 MB · Views: 86

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yeah, that's a big room for tiny little micro speakers. I'm not surprised you're unhappy. At the same time, space for speakers appears to be extremely limited. Where do you plan to place them? Also, that's an extremely reflective room, so you do not want bright sounding speakers. It's going to be tough to tame those reflections. Do you have a budget goal?

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I would echo John's comments. The Micra 6 system is likely very good at what it was built for, which is to serve as a step up from a sound bar solution in a small space but that's not what you have.

I'll just be blunt and ask, is WAF [Wife Acceptance Factor] an issue here? I ask because it will be very difficult to properly fill that room with quality sound while maintaining its current aesthetic.

charles j

Auditioning
Yes WAF is a factor unfortunately, but not extreme WAF, I have two of the micra's in front on top of the entertainment center about 7ft high about 8ft apart, one center below the screen 3ft high, a subwoofer to the right of the e.c in the corner of the room and two of the micra's behind centered on the back wall area about 4ft, up on a bookshelf spaced about 5ft apart, I can go up with the rear speakers up to about 7ft high if need be, I can spend around $700 to upgrade. just looking for clarity of sound (voice) and better sounding system if possible? I know this room is tough to fit because of the reflectivity. I had JBL's L56's on top of the entertainment center when I just used them for music and they sounded great but had to part with them because of WAF.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks