Help on running cable.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bob Hill, Dec 17, 2001.

1. Bob Hill

Bob Hill Stunt Coordinator

I am currently building my home theater and have chosen to route all my speaker and a/v cabling through PVC conduit. My questions:
    1. What size should I run for an overhead projector to handle all the various cables? (I'm thinking 2")
    2. What size should I run for the various speakers (I will have to run a couple of lines through the same piece of conduit in a few places and I plan on using 12 to 14AWG speaker cable?
    3. What limitations to corners can I expect to encounter?
    My main concern is the ability to snake new cable in if necessary in the future. Also if this isn't a concern I should have let me know that too. As always please let me know what you think. Some plans and very poor photos of my setup are at: http://home.dwave.net/~bobhill/hometheater.htm

2. Mac F

Mac F Agent

be sure to check out the blue flexible conduit, it can eliminate some turns. I'm not sure how large a size it comes in, it is usually used for smaller wires. Most important, be sure not to run the power lines through the same conduit as low voltage signal or speaker wires.

Try to avoid right angle turns if you can, two 45 degree turns will be easier to run additional cable through later.

3. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

You could possibly eliminate the need for future runs by going ahead and running 2 sets of quad cable to each speaker placement. That would also save you some money in buying conduit for each and every wire run you make. Doing this would give you the possibility of 4 speakers in each location.....whatever future formats release, I can't see needing more cable than that.

As for your projector or display, I ran 2" conduit to the front of the room for the TV. It's packed pretty tight as is, but just to be safe, I also ran 4 or 5 runs of string through the pipe too, so if I did need to run anything else, I could just attach it to a string and pull it through. That eliminates the need for pushing a fishtape or wire through the conduit and possibly damaging an existing cable in the process.

4. Bob Hill

Bob Hill Stunt Coordinator

Thanks much for the advice. BTW I am not running any high voltage with my signal wires and anytime they have to pass each other I try to keep it at a 90 degree angle. I tried out running the string with some wire and I am definitly going to do that in all cases. Again thanks much for the information.