help on reciever purchase

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Jeremy111, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Jeremy111

Jeremy111 Auditioning

hey guys

i am very new to all this and am looking to buy a reciever and speakers. i am concerned mostly with the music side of it, and in connecting my computer to it also. there is so much out there and i was wondering if somebody out there could help me, i am looking to spend between $2000 and $3000. i have been looking quickly at the yamaha and b&w speakers but am not really sure of whats out there.

any help and advice would be greatly appreciated

thanks jeremy

2. homthtr

homthtr Supporting Actor

You'll start to see lot's of network receivers coming out in the next year. Yamaha has this one..

http://www.pricegrabber.com/p__Yamah...ver,__24239934

I can see everything having a Network interface soon. Many people need the ability to stream thier mp3's and other audio/video into their home theater systems via their home network. Probably see some wireless ones out there soon also!..

3. Nick:G

Nick:G Stunt Coordinator

Assuming you're going to buy relatively soon, there are a few good options, but which B&W speakers are you looking at? They have quite an extensive product line! For example, their higher-end product lines (i.e. 700 and 800 series) are going to be considerably more demanding in the electronics department.

You'll also have to ask yourself how important it's going to be to you to have lots of bells and whistles. At that price range, you can get Swiss Army Knife products like the Denon AVR-4306 ($1,999 retail) or sonically superior products like the Rotel RSX-1067 ($2,199 retail), just to name a couple.

So either way, you will have trade-offs. You'll want to determine what features are important to you (i.e. HDMI switching, streaming media support, power output, etc.).

4. Jeremy111

Jeremy111 Auditioning

i have been told that a package including the yamaha rx-v1600, the b&w dm309 floor standing speakers and the b&w asw300 sub would suit my needs, as i said im not really sure. please help.