Help on power amp selection

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Daneel, Feb 19, 2004.

1. Daneel

Daneel Stunt Coordinator

Does anyone have experience of the Primare A30.5 power amp? I’m particularly interested in comparisons to the Rotel 1075 and 1095. After a lot of research I’ve found it uses 5 separate power supplies which is good from some points of view, however each one is only capable of 160 VA. The 1075 which is rated to the same 5 x 120W has a large toroid transformer of 1500 VA. Having said that, the Primare does nearly double in power going from 8 ohms (120W) to 4 ohms (200W) which indicates a fairly robust PS.

Also it’s damn heavy weighing in at 27kg compared to the 1075’s 17kg. I am being offered the unit 6 months old in very good condition for the same price as the 1075 new (prices are higher here in the UK, the 1075 is £845 here, only $999 in the US).

I demoed it on my B&W 602s3s and was very pleased with the improvement over my Pioneer 2011 (45tx) receiver. What I am concerned about is how it will handle the speakers I intend to upgrade to in a few months time. The prime contenders for now are the B&W 703s (rated 50W-200W). How do you think the Primare will cope with those?

The guy offering the Primare will be putting it on Ebay pretty soon so I need to make a decision fast.

All input appreciated.

Reviews can be found

here and here

2. Daneel

Daneel Stunt Coordinator

Hey guys I did a spreadsheet of the first review comparing the output of all three power amps. Also I got the 160 VA figure from here. I hope it's wrong and have emailed to ask them but there has been no response so far.

Any advice at all?

3. JohnSmith

JohnSmith Supporting Actor

I would go for the Primare. The Rotel's are a good first step into poweramp market, and are good for the money. But Primare's are in a different league.

Especially if you're into music/multi-channel. The Rotels offer a good safe sound- Primare more refined.