What's new

Help on new speaker selection! (1 Viewer)

booglebug

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff
New to this board but have been watching for about a month now, and thanks for the great info that you supply. I had picked out two choices in speakers, SCS-01-M system, (but can't seem to get my order placed) and Asend CMT340SE fronts with a matching center plus a Hus STF-2 sub. Both set ups would cost around $1200.00 which is my budget. With the Asend I can add surround in wall speakers later for my 6.1 setup. I'll be driving this with a Denon 789 AVR in a room approx 22 x 22 which is a loud room. For the money is this Asend package the best bang for the bucks? (I have kind of ruled the SCS system out). I really need to keep within my $1200.00 budget, but I am open for any suggestions that you may have to offer. In other words, am I better off putting my money in the front speakers and adding satellites later?
Thanks for your help,
Booglebug

Jonathan Burk

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Burk
Given those two choices, I would definitely go with the "long range" plan and get the Ascend/Hsu speakers with the plan to add satellites later.

Also, be sure to check out Aperion and Rocket speakers as well. I have several Aperion systems, and they are fantastic (I also have an Ascend system as well, and it is very good.)

At home, I've had the same set of high-quality speakers for 11+ years. They were a little bigger and more expensive than I needed at the time, but over the years I've had several different receivers, TV's and source units, but not once have I ever felt like I needed different speakers. Speakers don't become obsolete like receivers and DVD/Blu-ray players do. A high quality set should keep you happy for a very long time. So this is one area where it can really pay off long-term dividends to save up and build a high-quality system over time. And in a room of that size, a small "home-theater-in-a-box" setup probably isn't going to cut it for very long.

Heck, you could take a really long term plan and start out with some killer tower speakers like the Aperion 6T.

Good luck!

booglebug

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff
Thanks for the advise Jonathan.
I'm very new at this and don't know a lot about audio. My previous setup was a 6.1 with a Panasonic receiver that was driving Cerwin Vega E710 speakers. Are these speakers a very low end speaker or would they be efficient enough to hook up with this Denon 789 until I can save for a better setup? I like the idea of a high end set of front speakers but from what I have read on this board the sub and the center speakers are the two most important. Is this right or am I mistaken? Should I start out with a 2.0 and build from there?
Again I'm a dummy and any advise or alternative would be a big help.
Thanks,
Booglebug

booglebug

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff
One other thing, is an SVS 20-39 sub powered by a seperate amp a better setup than a sub self powered?
Thanks,
Booglebug

Jonathan Burk

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Burk
If you have an existing set of speakers, I would definitely set a realistic goal for a set of high-quality speakers and wait. There would certainly be nothing wrong with buying the center and sub first, and then adding matching front and surround speakers as the budget allows. A center like the Ascend CMT-340 or Aperion Intimus 5C (or 6C!) would be solid starting point for any system, and both companies have a good selection of speakers to fill out the rest. There are a bazillion good subs for $400-800.

For any given price, I think you can probably get more bang for your buck with a built in amp in a sub.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
linda19798888
Recent bookmarks