Help on multi room system

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Craig_Gauss, Oct 24, 2002.

  1. Craig_Gauss

    Craig_Gauss Auditioning

    Oct 24, 2002
    Likes Received:
    I have 2 rooms in a new addition of my house. I am trying to plan all the wiring out before the drywall goes up. My setup is as follows

    Room #1 = Home theatre room
    Room #2 = Entertainment/Workout room

    I would like to divide room #2 into 3 "zones". Each zone controlled by its own volume control on the wall. I also want each to have mono, not stereo sound since the room is so odd shaped.

    I would like to have the video and audio from room #1 to go into room #2.

    What would I need to setup to do this?

    Any ideas, tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

  2. Allan Jayne

    Allan Jayne Cinematographer

    Nov 1, 1998
    Likes Received:
    You can run ordinary household 12 gauge nonmetallic sheathed cable (sometimes trademarked Romex) for all the audio lines. Perhaps some day you might want stereo so feel free to run two "12-2" or one "12-3" cable to each zone.
    A 12-2 cable actually has 3 wires, black (hot), white (neutral), and bare (ground) and is all you need for mono. For stereo, you cannot share the ground for a variety of complex electronic reasons, partly related to the fact that properly phased speakers would put twice the single amp channel current down a shared ground wire contrasted with normal household electric usage where practically no current goes down the ground line except if something was faulty. 12-3 cable has four wires but is hard to find, 14-3 cable is easy to find and may suffice for stereo if you don't turn the volume up really high.
    The box behind the volume control knob on your wall should be about 22 cubie inches for stereo, about 15 cubic inches for mono. Otherwise folding all those stiff #12 wires into the box will be hard on your fingers. Home Depot or any electrical supply or hardware store sells these boxes and they usually have the cubic inch rating stamped on them.
    For video you have to decide on component video versus S-video versus composite video. Component video cables are the same as composite except you need three of them. You can use either one S-video cable or two composite video cables for S-video. In the latter case you will have to do some fancy soldering to connect up the S-video jack.
    I suggest a 15 cubic inch box behind your component video jack combination or double cable for S-video, or 10 cubic inch for composite video or single S-video cable. The box should be at least 3 inches deep so the video cable does not have to turn too tight a radius which can compromise the impedance and bandwidth, thus degrading picture quality.
    Video hints:

Share This Page