What's new

Help on HT configuration under $7000 (1 Viewer)

PrinceJuan

Auditioning
Hi Guys,

I am very new to this HT systems, but i did some research on some high end systems within 7000$ range.

reciever - onkyo/denon/marantz 7.1(not able to decide )
bose 901 reflecting speakers
B&W nautilus 802 /803 speakers
centre - nautilus HTM1
subwooper - SVS PB2-ISD

i want to know if the speakers configuration is ok, or do i need to change some thing in this configuration like model no or something different of equivalent brands.i will be using this system more for dvd movies.

my living room is of size 16" by 12". I have three doors on three walls and one wall is total glass opening to the balcony.i stay very close to the airport so i get lot of noise from outside even if the doors are closed.

can anyone suggest how i should put the system together i.e placement wise.

any help would be appreciated.

--Prince

Philip>L

Stunt Coordinator
You're going to want to find a better speaker than the 901s. They were revolutionary in the late 60s, but haven't improved much since then. You can buy far better speakers for far less money...

Daneel

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,

Are you planning to buy second hand or are you getting some very nice prices on your equipment?

Here in the UK the 803s cost £3500 ($5600) a pair, the 802s £6000 ($9600) and the HTM1 £1500 ($2400) so I'm wondering how you can get all of that kit for just $7000 as just the cheaper speakers with a center exceeds your budget?

Also I would suggest that driving any of the B&W N range with just a receiver would not be a good idea. I'm looking at the 700 series myself and wondering how my Pioneer 45tx will handle them never mind the far more demanding 800s. I will probably add a power amp.

Given your budget and room size you might want to have a look at the 700 series yourself. You may find them a better fit.

PrinceJuan

Auditioning
Guys thanks for replying.

Daneel: I am planning to buy the front L/R and center as second hand, i have bought the reciever a DENON 5803 which is out of my 7k budget, i mentioned that by mistake in the list.

ChrisArmour

Stunt Coordinator
I'm assuming that you wanted to use the 901's as fronts and the 802 or 803's as rears. All three of these speakers are meant to be front channels. So, I would drop the 901's(they will sound lifeless compared to the B&W's) and move the 802/803's to the front. Then add a pair of scm1's(or even 805's) for the rears. I have heard many different variation's on the Nautilus HT set-up(802/803-htm1/htm2-scm1/805) and it never failed to impress. You have a pretty stout receiver, but, in the future(if you even feel the need to upgrade) I would look toward upgrading to separates.

Daneel

Stunt Coordinator
PrinceJuan, have you demoed these speakers at all? From my experience B&W speakers, the larger ones in particular, need a big room and lots of space. They sound best with a reasonable gap (say 1m) between them and the wall. I recently moved house and giving my front B&W 602s that bit of extra space has made a big difference to the sound.

You may get all your kit in a 16' x 12' room but will there be any space left for you or your furniture! :)

PrinceJuan

Auditioning
Daneel -- you have a good point there, well i stay in a one bedroom apt and thats all the size i can afford in my living room.

i did demo the b&w but they were kept in a big room though.

well looks like i need to look into some smaller speakers then before deciding.

thanks,
Prince

ChrisArmour

Stunt Coordinator
If you wanted to stick with the Nautilus line, I feel that a pair of 805's and a HTM1 up front with a pair of SCM1's(or 805's) in the rear would be a solid choice. Oh, and from what I've read about the SVsubs, you have already made a fine choice in that area.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks