Help on home made component cables

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lynn Johnson, Jan 30, 2003.

1. Lynn Johnson

Lynn Johnson Stunt Coordinator

Has anyone else tried to make the cables on this:

http://www.bus.ucf.edu/cwhite/theater/DIYCable.htm

I bought the equipment specified without the braiding and the shrinkwrap, but it seems that the crimp doesn't really secure the end on the cables. Am I doing this right? Thanks in advance...

Lynn

2. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Supporting Actor

I've used the LV77 and the L5CFB cable with great success.

Did you buy the Canare crimp frame or the generic? There was a fix for some of the generic frames that helped with loose crimps. It simply involved sliding some small nails or large paper clip pieces between the die and frame and then tightening the setscrew.

Pete

3. Chris Carswell

Chris Carswell Supporting Actor

Pete,
    I just wanted to say thanks again!!!
    Super appreciate it [​IMG]
    -Chris

4. TimForman

TimForman Supporting Actor

I know exactly what you're talking about Lynn. The die in the crimper works ok with the regular RG-6 L-5CFB but when you try it with the V3-5CFB it doesn't crimp down tight enough and the connectors come off quite easily. This is due to the jacket on the individual cables in the V3-5CFB being thinner than the jacket on the L-5CFB. I'm going to try a generic crimper and see if that works.

5. Joseph_W

Joseph_W Stunt Coordinator

I just bought all the items listed in the site Lynn linked to. I made audio (RCA) cables using the LV-77S RG6 and video cables using the L-5CFB RG6. The expense was quite high and the initial results were terrible!!! But I got the hang of it after throwing one audio cable away. My household has four stereo systems (I have two teenage sons) and we will definitely get our money's worth.

DO NOT try this if:
    1) You do not enjoy dinking with stuff like this, or
    2) You plan to break even after a few cables.

but, if you enjoy this type of stuff, go for it!!

Mechanical crimping is the way to go. Don't pay too much attention to those who say it is not reliable. (My firm uses crimp for space applications.) Does it sound as good on a premium system as a silver cable made by CatCables or Better Cables? I doubt it. Can you tell a difference on a lesser system? ??

Anyway, the instructions are great. The generic crimper does not "fit" the conare die well, you have to put something between the die and the crimper to ensure a tight crimp. I used several layers of thick aluminum foil. Someone recomended small nails.

Good luck!!

Joe

6. Lynn Johnson

Lynn Johnson Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the tips Joseph! I ended up ordering two dies from Parts Express as a slightly smaller die will do the trick. Other than the crimping issues, I think it will work out great!