help on first tempest

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by eric-l, Jun 27, 2004.

1. eric-l

eric-l Auditioning

I was planning on building my first tempest sonotube, and had a couple of questions. I was planning on building about a 10 cubic ft. ported enclosure.

My first question is what amp would you guys recommend. Personnally, I want something that will be able to shake the whole house. Would the 1000 watt rms from Partsexpress be too much? Is the 500 watt rms better?

Second, I was wondering if anyone has ever finished the outside of sonotube using fiberglass. I was thinking about layering fiberglass around the outside of the tube. This would allow me to paint a very shiny finish to the outside. Is there anything that I should be worrying about if I do fiberglass the outside?

Thanks

2. AndersP

AndersP Stunt Coordinator

Hi.

Last things first i highly approve on your fiberglass plans, but remember there will be a lot of sanding to do.

I dont know the parts Express amps in detail, but they probably work fine. Remember: bigger is better.[​IMG]

For my sub I bought something to grow in when I finally start on my two TC Sounds Sonotubes:

http://www.behringer.com/EP2500/index.cfm?lang=ENG

The only drawback so far is the noise of the fan. I haven´t worked out how to kill that yet, but i will get around to it.

3. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

A Tempest in an enclosure that large doesn't need a lot of power. 1000W is definately overkill. 500W is even overkill. 250W is lots (will allow you to hit Xmax). However having extra power is never a bad thing. I'd recommend either the AVA250/Parts Express equivalent or the 350W Rythmic amp.

4. Darren_T

Darren_T Second Unit

Yeah, I second what Dustin said. I have a Tempest with the 250watt plate amp in a 214L ported enclosure. I have the amp gain only 1/4 of the way up and my HT is calibrated correctly. No need for any more than that with a large enclosure.

5. Cam McFarland

Cam McFarland Supporting Actor

I will third what Dustin & Darren said. I was worried I would need alot of power for my Tempest (I chose the Adire Alignment).

I went with the 360w from CSS....the power starts at
    7-oclock & if I go past 10-oclock, & have the volume set at more than -15 from reference level it is REALLY pushing
    the driver when things start going boom.

6. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

The volume dial on a plate amp cannot tell you how much power is being delivered. It's just a gain adjustment. If the input signal is hot enough the amp could enter clipping even if the volume dial was all the way down.

What matters here is how much power it takes to push the Tempest past it's linear excursion limits at the frequencies you need to play. How much power this will take will vary by the enclosure. An EBS vented will take less than 250W. While a smaller sealed enclosure could use well over 300W.

7. eric-l

eric-l Auditioning

thanks for all your help on the amp. Where can I find the rythmic amp that you guys are talking about?

Andersp, what did you mean there would be a lot of sanding to do? Would it be more than if i didn't fiberglass it?

8. Curt Badry

Curt Badry Stunt Coordinator

Eric,
    About the shiny finish, a friend of mine built a sono tube sub and he used a glossy black laminate for the finish. You can buy the thinner laminate that is easy to bend. It works great, just contact cement is all you need.It comes in 2x2,2x8,5x12. You'd only need one sheet,probably cost around $60.00. I just finished a 214l Tempest, and had to use 2 sheets of the thicker laninate, and it was $65.00 a sheet. Personaly i like the finish alot better than paint. In your case,no edges either, just one seam at the back.!!!

9. Cam McFarland

Cam McFarland Supporting Actor

I had my receiver volume set to -10 (starts at -80 + goes to +10) while setting up using my AVIA DVD & getting ~77-78
    db's while ~12 ft away (seating position).

Just stating that with this set-up, I had to back my plate amp gain down to the 10-oclock spot (off is at 7-oclock) &
    had to back the receiver volume down to -25 in order not to
    really push the driver into making unwanted noises.

Maybe there is something wrong with the sub I built, sure wish somebody that knew what it SHOULD sound like could come listen & tell me.

I covered mine with 1/4" Oak Plywood & stained it with an
    Oak stain with lacquer in it. Then added Oak 1/4 round to the edges that I stained as well.